Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

electric supercharger???

Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
it won't work. Superchargers are a complete system. RIPP will tell you. Do you think they just slap um on and go? All you will be doing is blowing more air into the engine. If anything, you only lean it out enough to throw the check engine light. It's your Jeep and if you wanna do stupid stuff to it, knock yourself out.
I am hesitant to respond as it might appear I think this piece of gear is a good idea. That I do not know. I am hoping someone has some real world experience to help with that determination.

That said, I think your response if flawed. I can find nothing that suggests a supercharger has any purpose other than “blowing more air into the engine” (http://www.answers.com/topic/supercharger). Might you enlighten me on what else it does?
Also, if this piece of gear is a bad idea can you (or anyone) offer something more concrete than saying its stupid?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Google this. You will find more than enough information on why this doesn't work. If your an engineer, there are threads out there that go into great detail on the why and how of this not working.

You cannot pressurize the air going into your intake manifold with an electric fan like this... If anything, this is an obstruction. The major benefit from a turbo or super charger is they are "scavenging" systems. Exhaust gas velocity in the case of a turbo and the mechanics of your engine with a supercharger. Running an electric supercharger would be a "vampire" on your system, taking power to make power.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknredrubi
I am hesitant to respond as it might appear I think this piece of gear is a good idea. That I do not know. I am hoping someone has some real world experience to help with that determination.

That said, I think your response if flawed. I can find nothing that suggests a supercharger has any purpose other than “blowing more air into the engine” (http://www.answers.com/topic/supercharger). Might you enlighten me on what else it does?
Also, if this piece of gear is a bad idea can you (or anyone) offer something more concrete than saying its stupid?
The theory is simple. With more air, you have to have more fuel.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanm
Google this. You will find more than enough information on why this doesn't work. If your an engineer, there are threads out there that go into great detail on the why and how of this not working.

You cannot pressurize the air going into your intake manifold with an electric fan like this... If anything, this is an obstruction. The major benefit from a turbo or super charger is they are "scavenging" systems. Exhaust gas velocity in the case of a turbo and the mechanics of your engine with a supercharger. Running an electric supercharger would be a "vampire" on your system, taking power to make power.
Thank you, Ryanm. That is most helpful.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

No problem, I've seen the same question many times over the years on several forums. Its not that the idea is bad or completely unsound.

google "electric turbo" and "electric supercharger"

Also, there is an article in Turbo and High-Tech performance about Thomas Knight that's worth reading. That will answer many of your thoughts on the issue.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

i have tried the electric supercharger before on my TJ and had it on dyno , the result was that it gave me lower HP because the air presure in the engine should be the same as outside however when using this electric supercharger the air presure in the engine was lower than outside.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DZNTS
Any fan capable of pushing more CFM ,than would flow naturaly aspirated, is going to boost the pressure. Instead of using anemometer to measure the wind speed he should have run it to the car and put a turbo boost sensor in to show the air pressure increase.
for the unbelieveing...here is some dyno-proof that they are useless..
Originally Posted by only_in_jeep
i have tried the electric supercharger before on my TJ and had it on dyno , the result was that it gave me lower HP because the air presure in the engine should be the same as outside however when using this electric supercharger the air presure in the engine was lower than outside.
If that doesn't convince you go buy two of them for yours
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

saddly i used to run with the crowds who probably invented those. They are actually boat exhaust fans. Used to exhaust air from an inboard boat's bilge before starting. Some "honda" guys found the diameter of it fit thier intake piping and someone hooked it up to a switch saying instead of the car having to suck air it would be blown into the cylinders. The problem is the fan can not push enough CFM to create a positive pressure on the manifold.
Electricly assisted superchargers and turbochargers are not all hogwash though. Honeywell who makes A LOT of the turbochargers out there was messing with a turbo with an electric motor that would spool up the turbo at lower RPMs where the exhaust gasses typically couldn't boost postive pressure. This is known as lag. If any of you guys have watched a 1000hp supra at the drag strip you know what I'm talking about. The first 1/8th of a mile is 3 cars behind who they are racing, then the last 1/8th they make up tremendous ground and fly by the opponent.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd look and see what it would take to bore & stroke the JK motor plus mill the head down to increase the compression ratio. That combined with some headers, unrestricted exhaust, a CAI and a Hyperchip is my idea to get some real power. Maybe find a junkyard motor so you can do it at your leisure...
Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcwade
saddly i used to run with the crowds who probably invented those. They are actually boat exhaust fans. Used to exhaust air from an inboard boat's bilge before starting. Some "honda" guys found the diameter of it fit thier intake piping and someone hooked it up to a switch saying instead of the car having to suck air it would be blown into the cylinders. The problem is the fan can not push enough CFM to create a positive pressure on the manifold.
Electricly assisted superchargers and turbochargers are not all hogwash though. Honeywell who makes A LOT of the turbochargers out there was messing with a turbo with an electric motor that would spool up the turbo at lower RPMs where the exhaust gasses typically couldn't boost postive pressure. This is known as lag. If any of you guys have watched a 1000hp supra at the drag strip you know what I'm talking about. The first 1/8th of a mile is 3 cars behind who they are racing, then the last 1/8th they make up tremendous ground and fly by the opponent.
Bingo..... as a manufacture in representation of product and with a voice to explain how and why we use what we use and how it delivers what it delivers we'd like to think we hold a little weight when it comes to the subject.

As a speed shop we've come across these types of modifications from time to time.... Over the past few years more of these types of modifications have surfaced and we've actually had a chance to see one on the DYNO.... it did deliver more air and leaned out the fuel mixture at a low RPM in a partial throttle condition. But then at upper RPM the fan itself, like "The Tornado" and other similar products, it became an obstruction to the air flow - it ends up hurting you in the mid to higher RPM - we didn't test this brand but like previously mentioned fans can only deliver so much –air- until they "dead head" against the engines volumetric intake map and their inability to effectively bend the adiabatic variable making them just "in the way".

A turbo or supercharger compress air into smaller molecules so that you are delivering more Pounds per Square Inch PSI - Hence the major difference...lastly and most importantly what about the tuning - which the Jeep doesn't exactly lend itself to – if you stuff air into the engine you need to address fuel as well.

Anyway… that’s our experience with it…. We remain neutral to all types of modifications, but from a consumers standpoint we like to see product properly demonstrated, which is why we try to answer everything we can in relation to our kit.

RIPPTECH

Quick Reply: electric supercharger???