Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EGR valve

Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR valve

I have an 08 wrangler JKU with 3.8
I'm fixing to replace second EGR valve in less than 6 months ... What would cause it to keep failing ? Thanks for any input
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Heat, corrosion, and gunk.

What did the other two look like?

Send me you old one?

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-30-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Pretty dark inside like carbon build up.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

The guy at auto zone hooked up to computer and he said that it had the EGR falt code twice and it was for a high voltage spike .
Old 02-02-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Well had to replace EGR valve for second time tried to clean the last one ( it was only five months old ) but it was to no avail ... And as hard as it is to get to on the 08 3.8 I would suggest just replacing it with new . Had to go in by pulling passenger side inner finder then when I got it loose I had to work it top side to undo connector and to reconnect ... Then don't get in a hurry tightening the bolts... The last thing you want to do is break a bolt because I believe you would have to pull the engine to drill and tap it . So go slow in an out with the bolt to loosen up the lock tight and it helped to use a 1/4 " drive to tighten back side bolt be ready to work blind and by feel with one hand..... That being said the parts guy said that the reason that the EGR valve failed was due to me buying the cheapest fuel I can find. I will start running a fuel additive and get better fuel .
Hope this will help some one that may be having similar problems
I would rather push my jeep than drive anything else
Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guys crazy, your gas quality has nothing to do with the frequent EGR replacement. Probably another issue or the intake passages are plugged.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Other issues ... Such as ? It has cold air intake. And what would cause the EGR to show a voltage spike On the code read out ?
Thank you for any input. If I can keep from having to replace this thing again it would b wonderful
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

It may be ECM or wiring related. Cold air intake wouldn't have anything to do with an EGR failure.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you live in an area where they dont do emissions testing just remove it and cap it off then use a resistor in the plug to mimic the old solenoid if nessary.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
If you live in an area where they dont do emissions testing just remove it and cap it off then use a resistor in the plug to mimic the old solenoid if nessary.
You aren't going to trick the new systems with that. The older ones, yeah. Besides that with the issues these things have with pinging already, why in the hell would you want to do that?

Quick Reply: EGR valve