Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ecoboost JK. Thoughts?

Old 03-03-2017, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no replacement for displacement. just ls swap. find ways to make a better cheaper ls swap that works with a manual trans and ide be on it. less crap to fail and good hp / tq with a shit ton of after market.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
no replacement for displacement. just ls swap. find ways to make a better cheaper ls swap that works with a manual trans and ide be on it. less crap to fail and good hp / tq with a shit ton of after market.
Yes, there is. I had a 2012 Chevy Express 15 passenter van with a 6.0 LS V8. The power was ok, but it sucked gas. It was reliable, but it didn't set any records. It averaged 11.5 miles per gallon in our typical daily driving routine with 9 kids and two adults.

Enter the 2015 Ford Transit 350 high roof with the Ecoboost. Night and day difference. First of all, this engine gets 15.8 miles per gallon with the same load and same driving routine. It gets 19.8 on the highway, which is incredible. Better yet, while the Chevy did 0-60 in about 11 seconds, this big Ford does it in 7 flat. Yes, I said 7 flat. This little engine throws that big van around like a rag doll. The torque is immediate, which would be perfect for a Jeep. But unlike the Chevy, which runs out of breath at high rpms, this Ecoboost keeps pulling hard, right up to red line.

As for durability, I don't have any actual data, but I see many F-150's running around with over 150k miles on them. Now, for long term durability, the LS has a well deserved good reputation. However, my 6.0 needed a flywheel at about 90k miles. I've got about 61k on the Ecoboost now, and it has been perfect, so far. We'll se how it does. The tune in the Transit may be for durability, as it is cut down to 300hp and 400lb of torque. It is tuned perfectly for the vehicle.

Every time I step out of that van and get into my Jeep with the trusty but vanilla 3.8, I wish I had that Ecoboost in it.

As for water, we had a recall because it didn't have enough splash protection. I know we hit a number of deep puddles that showered one side of the engine, turbo included, with ice cold water. It had no issues, other than blowing up a HUGE steam cloud from under the vehicle. I avoid deep water with the Jeep, anyway, because I've screwed up axles and diff gears in my YJ doing that, which lightened my wallet considerably.

Just my 2 cents, but if I won the Powerball, one of the first things I'd do, after purchasing a Corvette Z06, would be to fund these guys and have a brand new Ecoboost shoved into my JK to be the guinea pig.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eh i want as reliable as possible ide rather not have to deal with the added issues a turbo brings along.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost JK. Thoughts?