Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Eaton LSD or ARB Locker for Front Dana 30

Old 01-08-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Eaton LSD or ARB Locker for Front Dana 30

I am re-gearing to 4.88's next week and trying to decide if I should add a locker to the front Dana 30 or save a few dollars and put in a Eaton TrueTrac LSD. Anyone have any thoughts on locking a Dana 30?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a lockright in mine, Worked extremely well in the rocks where the Rubi's with 35's went. I have 37's now, no rocks with it yet, only muddy trails and hill climbs. Kinda leary of rocks with the 37's on the d30. I have spare axles, if I blow the R&P, goin to a d-60. Auto locker is a cheap alternative if you plan on upgrading later.No way, with what I have planned that I'd invest a ton into the 30. But if your sticking with smaller tires, may be the way to go.

Last edited by mkjeep; 01-08-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locker is the best choice. Limited slip can only do so much and will eventually wear out as well.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to a locker, don't do LSD. If you're going to do a selectable, go with ARB or Eaton E-Locker.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Go to a locker, don't do LSD. If you're going to do a selectable, go with ARB or Eaton E-Locker.
x2. Go selectable in a D30 front. You want to be open most of the time and locked when you absolutely need to.

I'm considering the e-locker myself for my D30 front but probably will leave open and lock the rear until I can upgrade to D44 up front.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With the Eaton LSD, you will get close to 100% lockup with the BLD function in the JK. BUT, as has already been stated, there's no substitute for a locker. Unless you're gonna be doing wheeling where one tire leaves the ground alot, I would think about the Eaton. I assume you're talking about the eaton Dana Powerlock, right? they are badass and shagnasty for an LSD. I've driven over 800 HP through one in a Dana 60 in a Charger drag car I had years ago. They will take some abuse. As I said though, if you're plannin on a lot of wheels off the ground, do the locker. the Eaton will work, but sooner or later, it will succomb to the one wheel bein in the air and prematurely wear the clutch packs. The BLD is good, but it won't hold it back. FOr every now and then, the Eaton would be fine in that situation, just not all the time.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm presonally doing Detroits front and rear. But that's just me...

Most people won't go Detroits up front. Either way, I'm going to grenade it, but we'll see for how long it'll last on 35s.

Quick Reply: Eaton LSD or ARB Locker for Front Dana 30