Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Eaton Locker Installation HELP ASAP!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyezhong
I just asked the 4WD company, and they also said the only remedy to sovle this issue is to redrill the locker's case. They also said that Eaton company knows this issue, I reall don't know why Eaton Company won't make the holes a little bigger even though they already know the problem.
There are 3 choices for ring gear bolt hole sizes on a Dana 44- 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2". These various sizes create inventory problems for the mfgr and the retailer. The case is really easy to drill and makes more sense for stocking as one size fits all. No distributor wants to stock 3 different part numbers for the same basic application. Truetracs, because of their hardened cases, are dual drilled 7/16" and 3/8".
Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
There are 3 choices for ring gear bolt hole sizes on a Dana 44- 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2". These various sizes create inventory problems for the mfgr and the retailer. The case is really easy to drill and makes more sense for stocking as one size fits all. No distributor wants to stock 3 different part numbers for the same basic application. Truetracs, because of their hardened cases, are dual drilled 7/16" and 3/8".
Thanks for the replies, I will contact some professional work shops to complete the redrill work, Thank you!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

there is also some inconsistency as to who has what hole size, and you DO NOT want holes too big. Easier to stock the smaller holes and drill out. I did it on my e-locker. No problem. Use a big drill press and good bits, and exact size bits to do the job.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had to drill my Detroit, as said before, a good drill bit and a drill press and your done in a few minutes.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sanyezhong
I just asked the 4WD company, and they also said the only remedy to sovle this issue is to redrill the locker's case. They also said that Eaton company knows this issue, I reall don't know why Eaton Company won't make the holes a little bigger even though they already know the problem.

Ya man I ran into the same problem. I actually regeared when I did mine and ordereed new ring and pinion 4.88 from Yukon and there bolts were the size I needed so I didnt have to drill into my elocker. I was worried about warping when drilling so I am happy with my set up. If you wanna regear now would be the time to do it.

07 wrangler x. Flame red. 4.88's eaton elockers front and rear. 4 inch teraflex, teraflex rear cv driveshaft. 35 in Goodyear MTR's. Rancho stubby bumper with tire carrier, Rugged Ridge stubby front winch mount bumper, smittybuilt xrc10 winch.

Last edited by burton57; 11-14-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Eaton Locker Installation HELP ASAP!!!