Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Easy air intake upgrade for only $55!

Old 08-25-2014, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never though about that heated air, a heat shield isn't a bad idea.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TristanWomack
It sounds better and pulls harder. The factory airbox is quite restrictive.
I'm going to have to agree with Bonanza on this. The engines used in the JK just aren't big enough to flow so much air that the factory box is the bottle neck. While the page linked below is from a Nissan site, the tests shown were done on a Duramax diesel engine that's a lot larger than what we have.

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

Here's another site that compares the flow between paper filters, cotton filters (K&N), and foam filters:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

To quote from that page: "The air filter posses very little restriction at all in this application. As long as an air filter is properly sized for an application, the lost airflow will be very minimal. This means that there is very little if any power to be found from removing the air filter, much less changing the filter type. The K&N did flow better than the Napa Gold in the first test to the tune of 0.02 psi. That is less than 1/3rd the loss in the factory piping, and it is a whopping 0.14% of atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi). If you need the 0.14% better airflow, than the K&N is hands down the best filter."

So unless you're using a box that specifically pulls cold air from below the engine or outside the engine bay in some way, you're (at best) not gaining anything other than some sound from the intake. If you don't take your Jeep through any water, then that might be an option. But since I never know for sure where there might be some water when I'm off road, I'd rather be safe and keep the intake higher up and the filter inside a box.

Last edited by Grant09; 08-25-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

placebo effect. louder always equals faster put it on a dyno and you most likely will be disappointed as sucking hot air in kills power. Even with big bucks engineering CAI's they make very little if any power vs stock on 3.6's on the other hand if you are happy that is all that matters.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I'll do a 0-60 test sometime soon. I tried it before and it was 8.4 seconds (33s automatic) and I assumed some lost horsies from ragging on the engine. So ill try again and see how it compares.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

And to address the heat issue I've noticed no difference in my heat gauge. Stays about two clicks below the centerline. Even under aggressive driving on the interstate. I've also noticed that when I step on the gas hard you can hear the throttle body opening and the air seeping in. Sounds pretty nasty hahaha almost like a BOV.... Almost haha
Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

And to address the heat issue I've noticed no difference in my heat gauge. Stays about two clicks below the centerline. Even under aggressive driving on the interstate. I've also noticed that when I step on the gas hard you can hear the throttle body opening and the air seeping in. Sounds pretty nasty hahaha almost like a BOV.... Almost haha
your h2O cooled engine should stay pretty consistent temp wise as long as the thermostat is doing its job. problem with your set up is all the air that is being introduced to the engine is coming thru the radiator and from the engine bay so the air is super heated. Engines like cool air hence the idea behind well designed CAI's. If you are happy tho that is all that matters.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think the stock airbox has "unneeded" space. Its there to let any water that comes through the intake drain out the bottom. Granted the OP doesn't play in water but I've seen water spots inside mine after rainy days (yes, I like driving through puddles)
Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default K&N Parts number

So I thought it was ridiculous that companies charge upwards of 300 for jeep CAI. So I went to pep boys and bought a kit the had there (didn't fit) but the 3" K&N filter will fit on the intake tube leading to the airbox. Then all you need is a breather filter and you're good to go. The power increase is noticeable due to the removal of the restrictive stock airbox. Engine is louder also.

K&N 3" reusable air cone $45
Breather tube filter $10

Done in very easily and very cheap!
whats the part number for the K&N im doing the same thing. ty 73
Old 08-26-2014, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Banks Ram Air...I think that's the name. Got it used for 150, maybe 1000miles on it.
A friend went the way of snorkel. He thought power was about the same. He has tuner though.
I've run it with and without its plastic heat deflector.
I've felt no change in power, or throttle response. I mostly rock crawl and heat soak happens either way with or without shield.
I've crossed rivers and run thru mud. Rock Crawled in 100+deg temps in Oklahoma and trailed in 13,000ft mountains.
I've reinstalled the heat shield for the "warm fuzzy" feeling as I've started crossing deeper rivers 30" ish.
I've crossed rivers and streams that the "snorkel guys" said would be risky for me.
Their are a few you tube videos of jeep water fording. Hope I spelled that correct.
I believe Jeep says 30" water is the max at 5 mph.

Thumbs up on your install.

Ernie

So I thought it was ridiculous that companies charge upwards of 300 for jeep CAI. So I went to pep boys and bought a kit the had there (didn't fit) but the 3" K&N filter will fit on the intake tube leading to the airbox. Then all you need is a breather filter and you're good to go. The power increase is noticeable due to the removal of the restrictive stock airbox. Engine is louder also.

K&N 3" reusable air cone $45
Breather tube filter $10

Done in very easily and very cheap!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is the exact way for now....agreed the stock air box and battery holder are all way to huge.... I couldnt fit mine back in so i was forced to remove my stock air box.

Quick Reply: Easy air intake upgrade for only $55!