Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EAG Roof Rack Review

Old 02-01-2018, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EAG Roof Rack Review

EAG Roof Rack review. I read a lot on the forum but rarely ever write anything.

I tried finding reviews online about this rack and there basically was none. Just want to start by saying rack is amazing and very solid. Installation was a breeze and i managed to do it all by myself in less than an hour. You might need some help getting the rack on top of the jeep but thats it.

I bought this rack from amazon for $400 and shipping was very fast, i was actually super impressed. I know someone with the smittybilt defender rack and in my opinion its exactly the same thing; quality is amazing.

They do have a longer version for JKUs at a higher price, however, you will not be available to remove your freedom tops. I personally dont mind it with my 2door.

Rack comes with all hardware and brackets, where as the smittybilt defender rack you have to buy those separate for an extra $100. It also comes with a wind deflector, i have little to no wind noise at all. No drilling was required which was a huge factor when i was on the market of purchasing the rack. Rack holds up to 150lbs which is more than enough. This will not hold a rooftop tent

Let me know if you have any questions; im willing to help any fellow jeepers.

Last edited by thisisluiss; 02-01-2018 at 04:01 AM. Reason: reorganazing, adding more details
Old 02-01-2018, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice review and nice Jeep! For a while I was considering hanging a 4ft arb awning off the back of the jk by fabbing up some brackets to attach it to the lift-glass hinge bolts. I eventually discarded the idea because I thought the weight would be too (25-30lbs) much when bumping down the trail. However, now that I see racks like this and the smittybilt I am reconsidering the idea. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tilly
Nice review and nice Jeep! For a while I was considering hanging a 4ft arb awning off the back of the jk by fabbing up some brackets to attach it to the lift-glass hinge bolts. I eventually discarded the idea because I thought the weight would be too (25-30lbs) much when bumping down the trail. However, now that I see racks like this and the smittybilt I am reconsidering the idea. Do you have any thoughts on this?
If you have a two door then the arb awning would be way too long for this rack, but if you have the 4 door and get the longer version of the EAG rack then it should be fine.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thisisluiss
If you have a two door then the arb awning would be way too long for this rack, but if you have the 4 door and get the longer version of the EAG rack then it should be fine.
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my first post. I would be getting the ARB 1250 awning (4ft wide by 6ft long) and hanging it off the back of the vehicle over the truck area where I do my cooking. Thus the awning would only attach to the brackets that are held by the bolt to the lift-glass hinge.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tilly
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my first post. I would be getting the ARB 1250 awning (4ft wide by 6ft long) and hanging it off the back of the vehicle over the truck area where I do my cooking. Thus the awning would only attach to the brackets that are held by the bolt to the lift-glass hinge.
Gotcha, that might actually work. I did not think about that one, looking into it for myself
Old 12-29-2018, 10:17 PM
JK Newbie

So how's it holding up? I've been eyeballing this rack on Amazon for a couple of weeks now for my JL.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Luekutus
So how's it holding up? I've been eyeballing this rack on Amazon for a couple of weeks now for my JL.
excellent, EAG came out with a longer version so i sold that one and got their new version. I love it man no complaints; easy to remove and easy to put on, you do need another set of hands though
Old 01-12-2021, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default Couple questions about the EAG rack

Hi - thanks for your review. First time poster here. I’ve read a few reviews about this rack that have kept me from ordering and listed the concerns I’ve read below. Can you confirm/deny each of these?

1. rack rusts easily and/or comes with surface rust. what was your experience?

2. the rain gutter supports for the rack sit in between the rain rail and the rubber weather seal on the door and this causes leaks and/or damage to weather seal. I’ve seen thule rain racks that don’t interfere with the weather seal...

3. the rear window can crack the plastic hinge covers if opened too quickly... true?

4. the hardware rusted easily and rust water drips on side of Jeep causing staining... do you recommend going to hardware store and getting stainless hardware? what has been your experience?

again, this is just a summary of reviews I’ve read on Amazon and not my own persons experience... any comment you can provide will be very useful. Thanks!!!
Old 01-15-2021, 01:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I am a dealer for EAG but I think they discontinued this roof rack. I cannot find a listing in my suppliers list for it. I want one too. Before I install it I am going to get it powder coated just to make sure no rust issues or durability issues arise.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry, I went back through my suppliers website listings and I can get the paramount auto version. Not the EAG. Looks to be the same though.

Quick Reply: EAG Roof Rack Review