Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

E-locker vs ARB air locker.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-locker vs ARB air locker.

I know Arb has been tried and true. Im wondering how the the e-lockers have been holding up? I have had ARB's for 12 years and have enjoyed them very much, but it would be nice not to have to listen to the compressor all the time. Whats the word?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

So far so good on the e-locker. My ARB was great and never gave me any problems, even in deep water on days where the temps were 20 below zero... I was told by some that aRB's would do poorly if there was a lot of condensation in the air tubes... never happened.

So far no problems... with the e-locker, but maybe someone will chime on on it who can tell you different
Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard plenty of complaints about the e-lockers, but I've heard plenty about the ARB too. That tells me you'd probably be fine either way.

One thing you might want to think about is that with the ARB it's probably going to be your compressor or an air leak that is a problem. With the e-locker its going to be the sensor inside or some of the electrics.

Personally, I like the e-locker if for no other reason than personal preference.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The elocker is a weaker design by far. The main problem with it is the limited slip function it has. most of the time the failure of the e-locker is that.

David
Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David are you talking about the Eaton E locker or some other locker? As far as I know, the Eaton E-locker is not a limited slip. Perhaps you are referring to Auburn locker?

ww w.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/Elocker/index.htm

I installed one of these in my Ford truck and it is solid. Never had a problem with it in 3 years of use.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

David are you talking about the Eaton E locker or some other locker? As far as I know, the Eaton E-locker is not a limited slip. Perhaps you are referring to Auburn locker?

ww w.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/Elocker/index.htm

I installed one of these in my Ford truck and it is solid. Never had a problem with it in 3 years of use.
I assumed we were talking about the factory Jeep Electric locker.

If we are discussing the eaton E-locker I have been told directly from eaton that they are made for OE applications and not intended for bigger tires.

David
Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JK e-locker is locked or open. The TJ had limited slip.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My OEM Rubi e-lockers have held up well on the trail in keeping 40" tires gripping. My only complaint is the dash button which sometimes has a mind of its own and won't shut them off right away.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

My OEM Rubi e-lockers have held up well on the trail in keeping 40" tires gripping. My only complaint is the dash button which sometimes has a mind of its own and won't shut them off right away.
Wow that is impressive we have seen a ton of failures with factory lockers and 37" tires so you are a lucky man.

David
Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Wow that is impressive we have seen a ton of failures with factory lockers and 37" tires so you are a lucky man.

David
And when we wheel don't necessarily take the easy lines either. Like the one below I ran my tire along and up the wall rather than next to it.

Last edited by JPTwinz; 08-07-2009 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: E-locker vs ARB air locker.