Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dynomax super turbo muffler...

Old 01-11-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynomax super turbo muffler...

Anybody here running it? Does it sound like a ricer when paired with the 3.8? Pros and cons?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running it and i love it! Its my third exhaust setup and by far the best. Bought the mbrp off road exhaust but got tired of the sound. Great exhaust but not for everyone. Bought a dynomax super turbo and replaced the mbrp muffler. A slight bend was needed in order to fit but no biggie for the muffler shop. Nice and quiet when cruising but makes a nice rumble when you get into it
Old 01-11-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Just ordered it for my 14 Unlimited. Really hoping its fairly quiet under normal driving conditions.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rayjj
Just ordered it for my 14 Unlimited. Really hoping its fairly quiet under normal driving conditions.
I cant say if the 3.6 will be louder or not. I would keep the stock resonator in first. If its not loud enough, remove the resonator. Its probably the quietest performance muffler you can buy.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by courtsm3
Its probably the quietest performance muffler you can buy.

And that is exactly what I am looking for! 99% sure I will be leaving the resonator on. I just want a little sound out of the exhaust, stock is too silent.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rayjj
And that is exactly what I am looking for! 99% sure I will be leaving the resonator on. I just want a little sound out of the exhaust, stock is too silent.
You made the right choice!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Looking over various threads across a few forums, a lot of people said they had leaks with this, and uneven tail pipes. The modifications people make to fix those issues seem to have been done by Dynomax now, so hopefully this all slaps together quickly and sounds good! Will take some pics when I get it in, hoping that will be this weekend.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I currently have this muffler. I was running their rock crawler model but wanted to find something quieter. Yes, this muffler is a bit quiter than the rock crawler (which is a cat back) but the cabin drone with the ST is absolutely horrible. I reinstalled all my stock pipes so it is just the ST muffler installed and the drone is awful.

I bought a new resonator which I plan on installing as others have told me this helps with the drone but doesn't derstroy the outside sound completely but it will require me to cut my stock pipes (which I'm not crazy about doing). However, I do like the sound that comes out of the muffler so I hope it works.

I've actually had many conversations with the folks from Dynomax about this and they are fully aware of the drone complaints. They offered several solutions so if you end up having the same issues, I'd suggest contacting them. And keep in mind that they have like a 90 days guarantee on the muffler so if you don;t like it you can return it.

Edit... my tailpipes were slightly uneven but it was hard to see without staring for a long time. However, now they are more uneven and a bit crushed.....aboslutely no clue how that could have happened. LOL!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I currently have this muffler. I was running their rock crawler model but wanted to find something quieter. Yes, this muffler is a bit quiter than the rock crawler (which is a cat back) but the cabin drone with the ST is absolutely horrible. I reinstalled all my stock pipes so it is just the ST muffler installed and the drone is awful.

I bought a new resonator which I plan on installing as others have told me this helps with the drone but doesn't derstroy the outside sound completely but it will require me to cut my stock pipes (which I'm not crazy about doing). However, I do like the sound that comes out of the muffler so I hope it works.

I've actually had many conversations with the folks from Dynomax about this and they are fully aware of the drone complaints. They offered several solutions so if you end up having the same issues, I'd suggest contacting them. And keep in mind that they have like a 90 days guarantee on the muffler so if you don;t like it you can return it.

Edit... my tailpipes were slightly uneven but it was hard to see without staring for a long time. However, now they are more uneven and a bit crushed.....aboslutely no clue how that could have happened. LOL!
If there is drone I am definitely sending it back and going back stock. Do you have a resonator on now? Not sure if there are differences between year or with the Unlimited, but I do have a stock resonator with my 2014 JKU. Buddy of mine has a 2 door 2010 and he has no resonator. I've had plenty of rides that were quite noisy and had lots of drone, and I am so not looking for that with the Jeep. I like the dual out setup, and I wonder if there were a way to add a 2nd tailpipe to the stock muffler. I saw it done on another car a while back with a transverse muffler. Would have to know what the inside of the stock muffler looks like before seeing if it were possible.

Last edited by rayjj; 01-15-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

So I installed this last night. As most state, hardest part was getting the old muffler off, those damn hangars!! Once I sprayed it with the right lube they came off a lot easier. WD40 didnt really help, but I used this silicone lube I am pretty sure I got from Pep Boys years ago and it came off fairly easily then. Wish I woulda tried that stuff first. Anyway, didn't drive it until this morning. It is fairly quiet, and there may be a slight drone around 1500 rpm when driving slow, but it is really not bad at all. Drone typically drives me nuts but this is totally fine. I do also have the stock resonator on the exhaust so that helps for sure. 2 things though, I had thought they fixed the issue of the right tailpipe hanging lower, but it does seem that mine sits a hair lower. I am going to pull it back off tomorrow and see if I can adjust it a bit to make it even. It is not off by a lot, but I'd rather try and make it level. 2nd issue was one of the tip clamps broke while tightening it down, so emailed them to send me a new one, but I will probably just weld the tips on anyway,as seeing those clamps is an eyesore to me. Tomorrow I am going to take some pics and some video inside and out. I will also do some in my buddies 2010 with a Magnaflow axleback to compare. I think his is definitely louder, though still not what I would consider loud.

Quick Reply: Dynomax super turbo muffler...