Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DynoMax HELP!!!! (Evolution Competition install FAIL)

Old 05-12-2013, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DynoMax HELP!!!! (Evolution Competition install FAIL)

I ordered the Dynomax Evo Competition exhaust system that dumps before the rear axle this week and went home today for Mothers day and to get my dad(who is very mechanically inclined) to help me bolt it up. I have a 2013 2dr JKR and have read and even confirmed with the Dynomax rep on this forum that it would fit my rig by cutting 2.5 inches off of the intermediate pipe.

We removed the stock muffler/exhaust which was a pain in the ass in its own right. Then when we began test fitting the new muffler, it became very clear that the system is at least 6 inches too long! We cut the 2.5 off the intermediate pipe but still at least 3 -4 inches too long for the rear hanger to work. We racked our brains but couldnt get anything to work. We cant cut off any more due to the bends in the pipes so I dont know how this will work as designed. The only thing we could figure is the kit doesnt take into account the exhaust spacer that was installed with my lift kit. But even then it would still be too long to work.

Has anyone else successfully installed this system on a 2dr? If so, do you have a spacer installed to front DS clearance?

We just left the exhaust off and I drove it back to my house (40 miles) with the exhaust exiting out of the y-pipe. The jeep sounded and ran awlful!! The sound is obvious but the lowend power was gone and the transmission(auto) didnt shift properly. Is this the result of too little back pressure?

I guess ill be headed to a muffler shop tomorrow to see if they can get this thing to work. Pretty crappy DIY project today.

Last edited by Jibba; 05-12-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

I've been through that run around already... bottom line is those directions are terrible and that exhaust wasn't made for a two door. I had to get the rock crawler version made specifically for the 2-door. Goodluck haha
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to see pics to confirm but I installed the comp exhaust with no issues on my 2 door. Basically I replaced the resonator with the comp exhaust had everything dump in front of the rear axle.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

It's a terrible pic I need to get some better ones but its such an awkward angle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-726762765.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	457333  
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronin2120
I need to see pics to confirm but I installed the comp exhaust with no issues on my 2 door. Basically I replaced the resonator with the comp exhaust had everything dump in front of the rear axle.
I dont have any pics but basically the hanger on teh down turn pipe is about 3-4 inches too far to the rear to be able to line up with the supplied hanger in the kit that bolts to the frame. Perhaps if i didnt have an exhaust spacer up front, it would be closer to lining up.

Do you have an exhaust spacer? What year is your jeep?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem I cut the pipe just after the drop loop over the axle eliminating the rear hanger. Lmk if you want a pic I can snap one a lil later on
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The exhaust spacer pushes EVERYTHING back and that is the wild card here.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dynomax
The exhaust spacer pushes EVERYTHING back and that is the wild card here.

It seems that the majority of jeeps that would use this muffler would be lifted and therefore many would require a spacer. Dynomax should take this in consideration, but im glad I have identified this as the root cause. Would you recomend me getting a new intermediate pipe made at a muffler shop that is 3"s shorter to make this kit work? If done would the back pressure be sufficient to get my bottom end power back to normal?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jibba
It seems that the majority of jeeps that would use this muffler would be lifted and therefore many would require a spacer. Dynomax should take this in consideration, but im glad I have identified this as the root cause. Would you recomend me getting a new intermediate pipe made at a muffler shop that is 3"s shorter to make this kit work? If done would the back pressure be sufficient to get my bottom end power back to normal?

I actually just PMed you back.

So yes on the suggestion you have or the part numbers in the PM for a different style of pipe.

Matt
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

I never installed an exhaust spacer on mine and I'm lifted 3in, never had an issue.

Quick Reply: DynoMax HELP!!!! (Evolution Competition install FAIL)