Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dynatrac prorock 44 question(s)!!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dynatrac prorock 44 question(s)!!

ok so to start it off, i have a Unlimited Sport, so i have a D30 with no lockers in the front.

i was on the dynatrac website looking at the prorock 44's. and i was looking up the eaxle shaft compatibility. from what it said, if i get the prorock with the E-locker housing, i can use a stock shaft. if i get the regular prorock 44 i need to get a custom inner shaft made.

is it possible for me to use the prorock44 that is made for the Elock, but not use a elocker? i honestly would like the convenience of not having to get custom shafts everytime i need an axle.

soo, from what i understand, if i purchase the one made for the Elocker i can now use any axle shaft that can fit a Rubicon D44?

hopefully dynatrac can give me some info
Old 05-15-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The rubi e-locker version will accept all of the parts from a front Rubicon 44. it will not accept your d30 inner shafts or gears. If you choose this housing, your only non-factory locker options are the 35spline ARB, but you must use 35spline axle shafts. Or the 35spline ECTED, and again, you must use 35spline shafts. The factory elocker is roughly $1200, so a 35sp combo is the better option for that housing.

The standard version of the PR housing will accept any standard locker and axle shaft combo. (the OX locker may be an exception, but 30sp arb, truetrac, detroit, non-factory elocker, can be used). Since you do not have a rubicon front axle now, you are better off with the standard PR. (mine was shipped with alloy inners, and I re-used the stock 32sp outers from my d30)
Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The rubi e-locker version will accept all of the parts from a front Rubicon 44. it will not accept your d30 inner shafts or gears. If you choose this housing, your only non-factory locker options are the 35spline ARB, but you must use 35spline axle shafts. Or the 35spline ECTED, and again, you must use 35spline shafts. The factory elocker is roughly $1200, so a 35sp combo is the better option for that housing.

The standard version of the PR housing will accept any standard locker and axle shaft combo. (the OX locker may be an exception, but 30sp arb, truetrac, detroit, non-factory elocker, can be used). Since you do not have a rubicon front axle now, you are better off with the standard PR.
i understand that i will not beable to use my D30 shafts. even if i were able to, that would defeat the purpose.

i just wanted to be able to swap shafts out without having to get a inner shaft made custom.

if i get the prorock 44 for the elocker i can just run an ARB locker for the mean time until i get a compressor for it. do i have the right idea?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Ahh, gotcha. The problem is still going to be the locker. A non-custom inner shaft length is a non-issue, since you do not plan on using the factory elocker and can not use the factory rubi inner shafts with the aftermarket lockers. As noted above, the 35 spline versions of the arb/ected that will fit in that housing need 35 spline shafts, not the 30 spline stock inners.

I would assume that you could run the stock rubi shafts with an open carrier, though? Pretty much defeats the purpose of buying that housing, though, since you would trash them as soon as you get the locker and new shafts.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-15-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

Ahh, gotcha. The problem is still going to be the locker. A custom inner shaft length is a non-issue, since you do not plan on using the factory elocker and can not use the factory rubi inner shafts with the aftermarket lockers. As noted above, the 35 spline versions of the arb/ected that will fit in that housing need 35 spline shafts, not the 30 spline stock shafts.
i guess the best thing would be to go with a regular prorock44.

can i use my D30 steering knuckle? i was on the northridge website and it has an option of Reid Racing knuckles, or stock.

also, what spline count does the regular prorock 44 come with? 30spline?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The cheapest option is to use your stock 32spline outers with new 30spline alloy inners. Or you can go with RCV's, which is about $400 more, but I'm not sure of the spline count on those, or if you have an option of 30/32/35 spline.

You can re-use the factory knuckles, or upgrade to Reids.

It will also come with factory balljoints, but you can upgrade those to ProSteers if you want.

My ujoints were replaced at the same time. I did not ask if the stock d30 joints would work, but i assume they will not.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

The cheapest option is to use your stock 32spline outers with new 30spline alloy inners. Or you can go with RCV's, which is about $400 more, but I'm not sure of the spline count on those, or if you have an option of 30/32/35 spline.

You can re-use the factory knuckles, or upgrade to Reids.

It will also come with factory balljoints, but you can upgrade those to ProSteers if you want.

My ujoints were replaced at the same time. I did not ask if the stock d30 joints would work, but i assume they will not.
i would rather use a full 44 axle shaft instead of a 44inner and 30 outer. i was just curious if i can use my factory knuckle with the prorock and still run a full d44 axle shaft. if not then i will go with the Reid knuckles. pointless to run a prorock if im going to run a d30 outer
Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The JK d30 and rubi d44 use the same 32spline outer shaft. The inners on the 30 are 27spline, the inners on the rubi44 are 30spline. (hence the option of an alloy inner and stock outer)

As far as I know, you can use the stock knuckles with any axleshaft option. The Reids are a strength upgrade, and allow for some steering correction as well.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 AM
JK Freak

so the rubi44 has 35inner splines, and so does the regular prorock44?

i just want to know the difference between the regular prorock and the rubi44.

i assumed the prorock 44 had only 30 inner splines since its a conventional dana44.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Maybe I was not explaining it right?

The front rubi44 comes with 30 spline inner shafts and 32 spline outer shafts. It has an oddball sized center section on the housing, so it is very limited on the lockers that can fit inside of it. The only options are the factory e-locker, which will use the stock 30spline shafts. A 35spline arb, which needs 35 spline shafts, or a 35 spline ected, which also needs 35spline shafts.

The rubi replacement PR housing is made to the same dimensions as the stock rubi housing. It will accept the stock rubi locker with the stock 30spline shafts, or the 35sp arb/ected, but you have to move up to 35 spline shafts to use either.

The standard PR44 housing gives you a lot more options. You can use pretty much anything that will fit in a standard D44 housing. *You are not locked into using just those two 35spline lockers*. If you want to run a 30spline arb with 30 spline shafts instead of the 35spline versions, you can. Or a detroit. Or a truetrac. Or the eaton elocker (which is not the same as the factory elocker). Any diff/locker/shaft that will fit in a standard 44, you can use.

Quick Reply: Dynatrac prorock 44 question(s)!!