Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dynatrac balljoints

Old 04-13-2010, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynatrac balljoints

Are they adjustable, if so, how many degrees. I would like to get a better set, but if they are not adjustable, Im not spending the money. Have some slight camber I would like to correct.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

I haven't seen any advertisement to indicate the Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints are adjustable.

Keep in mind if you buy adjustable ball joints, they change caster and camber at the same time, unless you have them installed for maximum in one axis or the other.

What are the camber measurements you have?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Ive got -0.75 left, -.35 right. Im starting to feel the the road more now and getting some shakes and shimmys. I was going to have my tires rebalance, and wanted to replace the ball joints at the same time.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

The acceptable range for camber -.62° to +.12°, with max difference .5°

Your left is not far out.

If you have worn ball joints, I believe new ball joints will bring it back into spec. (without the use of offset ball joints)

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-13-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The acceptable range for camber -.62° to +.12°, with max difference .5°

Your left is not far out.

If you have worn ball joints, I believe new ball joints will bring it back into spec.
I have read all your ball joint posts, you deffinitely know what your talking about. What do you think is the most effective and economical approach out there. Seems like trying to find a ball joint that fits is a bunch of damn smoke and mirrors. Dynatracs are damn expensive, but if they are worth it I will buy them. I have sleeved and gussetted this Axle, whats another 600. I should have bought a D60 to begin with.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

First thing you should do is measure your ball joint play. See how bad they are.

If you need new ones, just get non-offset joints to see if your handling improves. If it doesn't, it's more likely something other than camber is causing the handling issues you describe.

My right camber is -.7°, just a tiny bit out of limits.
My ball joints are a little worn, but still within limits, and not showing road symptoms yet.

I have chosen to ignore the present camber. When the joints wear out, I'm going with the rebuildable (and greaseable) ProSteer ball joints.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I have seen the adjustable ball joints on rockauto, however they mention that they also fit the TJs and other jeeps. I have heard that the lower Moogs do not fit the JK. Where is the best place to get adjustable ball joints?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

I think I am going to go with the dynatracs. There is no confirmation on any of the adjustable ball joints. The other forums have mentioned that the moogs dont fit. My camber is a little out of spec but not terrible.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The bad ball joint issue on the JK is reaching nearly epidemic proportions. We feel a good portion of the issue, obviously, is bent housings and/or end forgings (C's). As most are aware, our ProRock 44 housing is designed to cure those issues as well as add substantail strength in other areas.

The bad ball joint wear and bent housings isn't just limited to heavy rigs with big tires that get hard core use. We see this issue on stock rigs too. Unfortunately, JK owners are adding the needed support AFTER they need it, not before they've done damage. This, of course, means that alignment specs are nearly impossible to maintain and causes even faster ball joint wear.

Without question, the ProSteers are expensive. As time passes we may be able to lower the price but I can't see them ever getting to be anywhere near a stock joint. There is just too much more material and labor involved. Our customers have been giving us great feedback about the ProSteer joints and feel that they have been an good investment.

As for the 'I should have just built a 60 comment', some drivers really need a 60 to be able to take them where they want to go and run the equipment they feel they need. On the other hand, a great majority of users will find that a well built 44 will do all they ever need. The key here is 'well built'. Too many people build their rigs without any plan or forethought. They do incremental improvements that usually get them so buried in a part that they don't want to replace it because they will lose their investment. With a little planning and research- and this site is a GREAT place to start- the owner can build a great rig with a much lesser investment.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
The bad ball joint issue on the JK is reaching nearly epidemic proportions. We feel a good portion of the issue, obviously, is bent housings and/or end forgings (C's). As most are aware, our ProRock 44 housing is designed to cure those issues as well as add substantail strength in other areas.

The bad ball joint wear and bent housings isn't just limited to heavy rigs with big tires that get hard core use. We see this issue on stock rigs too. Unfortunately, JK owners are adding the needed support AFTER they need it, not before they've done damage. This, of course, means that alignment specs are nearly impossible to maintain and causes even faster ball joint wear.

Without question, the ProSteers are expensive. As time passes we may be able to lower the price but I can't see them ever getting to be anywhere near a stock joint. There is just too much more material and labor involved. Our customers have been giving us great feedback about the ProSteer joints and feel that they have been an good investment.

As for the 'I should have just built a 60 comment', some drivers really need a 60 to be able to take them where they want to go and run the equipment they feel they need. On the other hand, a great majority of users will find that a well built 44 will do all they ever need. The key here is 'well built'. Too many people build their rigs without any plan or forethought. They do incremental improvements that usually get them so buried in a part that they don't want to replace it because they will lose their investment. With a little planning and research- and this site is a GREAT place to start- the owner can build a great rig with a much lesser investment.
Great post Just purchased a set of the prosteer balljoints.

Last edited by Ryanc; 04-14-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Dynatrac balljoints