Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Duratrac's. ...NOT IMPRESSED

Old 01-14-2016, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
. Think you guys are missing the point....the Duratrac's did worse than the muds. My point was to show they are no better than muds in the snow......
How much pressure in the tires ?
What gears in the 3 Jeeps?
Did any of them have a rear LSD.?
Old 01-14-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK

How much pressure in the tires ?
What gears in the 3 Jeeps?
Did any of them have a rear LSD.?
Gears...3:73's
Lsd...no lockers on any
We were running 28 psi in the dt's and mine.
Not sure about the Toyos

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 01-14-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Gears...3:73's Lsd...no lockers on any We were running 28 psi in the dt's and mine. Not sure about the Toyos Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
LSD in all 3?

DT are the go to tire up north here. All the Police services, EMS and fire trucks run them.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the first step is admitting it...so good for you. 3+ people doesn't trump the tons of people who have to justify their purchases by jumping bandwagons. I have the 4" Evo plush ride lift and I'll be the first to tell you it's not plush...because I'm not insecure. Don't feel the need to justify the expense of so called better coils when they're not what I thought they'd be. People just need to man up and be honest so we all can benefit from true reviews...which was my point of this thread. And my little test...do people have molecularly different snow in other areas that would change my result? No. I can promise you the snow is the same where I grew up in NY as it is here as it is in CO etc.. so the results would be the same repeated anywhere 100 times over. Your point is invalid. Sorry Btw...getting so upset and offended over this proves your self proclaimed fan boy status. Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
If 3 plus people and their experience means jack sh*t then certainly your single opinion and your 2 hr test means even less bahahaha ..... I think this thread just points to the fact that NO MATTER WHAT TIRE YOU HAVE ON YOUR JEEP ITS YOU NOT THE TIRE ...... That can't handle the winter weather ..... Time to move somewhere warm 12 months a year lol ..... Signed not a fan boy just an experienced driver that has tried many tires for more then a day
Old 01-15-2016, 01:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think we all agree snow tires are best for snow.

Somehow, a few got butt hurt that the almighty DT is no better than any other aggressive at or mt type tire, which was the point if my thread. Nothing to do with SNOW tires really.

But, as stated by someone a few posts ago, people like to justify what they spend their money on and think it's the best.

Or, they compare it to a tire they had 5 years ago like they could actually real world gauge it that way.

Either way, this was an informative post about 3 tires in the same situation and environment. They all sucked in the snow of any type. Admittedly it was also meant to call BS on so many of these fan boy posts about those tires.

I think more people should speak up about actual and factual experience....not self-ego stroking fan boy nonsense be it tires, lifts, led's etc..

I got exactly what you were going after. I am one of those who speak from ACTUAL Experience. When it comes to lighting, tires, etc. LOTS of people don't like what I say, but I have more miles than 90% of people here. At the moment I have over 1 million miles driven.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9

If 3 plus people and their experience means jack sh*t then certainly your single opinion and your 2 hr test means even less bahahaha ..... I think this thread just points to the fact that NO MATTER WHAT TIRE YOU HAVE ON YOUR JEEP ITS YOU NOT THE TIRE ...... That can't handle the winter weather ..... Time to move somewhere warm 12 months a year lol ..... Signed not a fan boy just an experienced driver that has tried many tires for more then a day
That response written by a kid?

Anyone that types bahaha immediately loses credibility and proves your lack of maturity.

I'm sad for you and your tires

Old 01-15-2016, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack

I got exactly what you were going after. I am one of those who speak from ACTUAL Experience. When it comes to lighting, tires, etc. LOTS of people don't like what I say, but I have more miles than 90% of people here. At the moment I have over 1 million miles driven.
Clearly people don't like what I'm saying either. But the very simple fact remains - we tested all 3 and they were virtually identical.
Driving 1 million miles has no bearing on that.
When you test something and it produces a result, that doesn't change. If you install an led bar and it sucks and the next one you install is great, nothing about the situation/install in the crappy one would change that. Do you need to run that shit bar for a year to realize it still sucks? No

I didn't say either of these 3 tires was crappy in all weather situations....only snow. Rain,rocks or mud..who knows, didn't test them there.

I'm relaying the fact that I come here to hear real actual facts and hoped people would come together to help each other with honest reviews...not the epidemic of justificationists.

Did it with my tires...my new Coursers suck in the snow. Honest review. No ego or insecurity.

This thread was meant to help the next guy thinking of getting a tire because people say it's amazing in the snow...it's not. Neither are mine...or the Toyos.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 33" duratracs and I never really got to test them in deep snow but they did do amazing in about 6" of snow which was the most we got when I had them. The place that they really preformed well was ice. I was traveling from wvu to JMU through the mountains that were covered in ice. I didn't lose traction once going up or down the mountains. I had it in 2 wheel drive for most of the time and then switched to 4 wheel when the weather got worse. The only tire I can compare them too though is my stock tires. They are much better then stock that's all I can say. I now have 35" trail grapplers and have yet to test them out in any snow or ice
Old 01-15-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always heard that thorn birds were the best tire for compact snow and ice - not DT's

You're gonna have to start your test all over again.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sea bass
I always heard that thorn birds were the best tire for compact snow and ice - not DT's

You're gonna have to start your test all over again.
Those lose by virtue of shear ugliness....no test required

Quick Reply: Duratrac's. ...NOT IMPRESSED