Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Duratrac's. ...NOT IMPRESSED

Old 01-14-2016, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
Nope.....we went in drifts that were 18-24" deep.

Zero difference..again, position of this was to show that the dt's did not better in the snow than an mt as everyone claims

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum

Hate to say it but no two snowflakes are the same, just like peoples opinions.

You cannot compare your test in snow vs others who have also driven in snow because there are too many variables. Snow comes in all forms, powder, slushy, icy, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_snow
Old 01-14-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The duratracs have been great for me in winter. Had them on 33's and bought them again in 35s as a winter tire. Sure they don't do well as a dedicated street winter tire but my Jeep is basically just for offroad. I've had MT's and my current MTZ's and the duratracs blow them out of the water in snow/ice. Once you get into deeper snow then the MTs do a lot better.

Mind you I have to change back come spring time as their sidewalls do not do well for back country exploring. Went through 5 sidewalls from Jan - May

There has been a ton of trips where guys have MT's or various tires and we are ascending or descending icey slopes. My duratracs have held substantially better where the others are basically taking down trees to slow down in the shoulder before stopping.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zick

Hate to say it but no two snowflakes are the same, just like peoples opinions.

You cannot compare your test in snow vs others who have also driven in snow because there are too many variables. Snow comes in all forms, powder, slushy, icy, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_snow
Oops....wrong again snowflake.

I've driven in all forms of snow with all forms of tires for the last 25 years. Grew up in Buffalo,NY and now live in MI.

Tires make zero difference with the exception of dedicated SNOW tires.....

Last edited by JayswranglerX; 01-14-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I ran DuraTracs on the same jeep that I I ran Maxxis Bighorns and Gooodyear MTRs on. Over those two particular MTs, the DuraTracs did far better on snow and ice.

At one point I was having driveline issues and spent a couple months of winter without being able to engage 4wd. The DuraTracs got me up the very steep and windy hill that I live on in 2wd without ever breaking loose. I can confidently say that the other two would not have had the same results.
Respectfully...No way to know if you didn't try them all on the same hill ,same conditions, same day not years or months after you had a different set etc..

Last edited by JayswranglerX; 01-14-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Oops....wrong again snowflake.

I've driven in all forms of snow with all forms of tires for the last 25 years. Grew up in Buffalo,NY and now live in MI.

Really?
Your actually telling me that driving through powder is exactly the same as driving through slush?
Old 01-14-2016, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zick

Really?
Your actually telling me that driving through powder is exactly the same as driving through slush?
Nope.....clearly that's two different types of snow in case you were really wondering.

But the tire your using be an a/T or m/T will make virtually no difference.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

.... Serious? So the various quantities and forms of siping on tires and different compounds equate to zero difference. Learned something knew today
Old 01-14-2016, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Nope.....clearly that's two different types of snow in case you were really wondering.

But the tire your using be an a/T or m/T will make virtually no difference.

Nope, not wondering. Got 20 years of WI driving under my belt.

But you seemed to miss my point in my original post.

I made no statement about comparing different types of tires in snow driving. I was saying that you can't compare someone else's comment about Duratrac tires in snow to your test because you have no idea of what type of snow they were driving through and the type of snow can make all the difference in the world.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer

.... Serious? So the various quantities and forms of siping on tires and different compounds equate to zero difference. Learned something knew today
Doesn't sound like it.

Let me help you....if your jeep had say... MTs and you took off from a dead stop in packed snow on the street it would spin all over the place. Stop your jeep, swap on some Duratrac's and do the same exact thing and you will spin all over the place. Point is, you will still have NO traction difference in that same exact situation.

To reiterate. ..I did nearly the exact same thing in packed snow, deep snow, and some slushy shit last night. Both jeeps had no traction hardly and we're fishtailing equally all over the place.

Last edited by JayswranglerX; 01-14-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Doesn't sound like it.

Let me help you....if your jeep had say... MTs and you took off from a dead stop in packed snow on the street it would spin all over the place. Stop your jeep, swap on some Duratrac's and do the same exact thing and you will spin all over the place. Point is, you will still have NO traction difference in that same exact situation.

To reiterate. ..I did nearly the exact same thing in packed snow, deep snow, and some slushy shit last night. Both jeeps had no traction hardly and we're fishtailing equally all over the place.

Siping in that situation you say? Don't matter...UNLESS it's siped to high heaven and soft as hell like a Blizzak

Quick Reply: Duratrac's. ...NOT IMPRESSED