Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Duratrac's. ...NOT IMPRESSED

Old 01-14-2016, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Duratrac's. ...NOT IMPRESSED

Ok. I see a ton of people saying the Duratrac's are amazing in the snow, ice etc.

We did a little test last night while we were getting pounded with snow.

I have 37" Coursers, my one friend has 37" Toyo M Ts and the other friend the 35" Duratrac's.

I took each jeep ( all 4 doors, 2 are 08's ones is an 07.. all outfitted nearly identically so no weight difference) and performed the same tests to see how badass these tires supposedly are.

Well in every test I could think of they felt and performed exactly the same practically with one exception....the traction was worse than the the other two when taking off in 2 wheel drive.

Matter of fact...and all tires essentially sucked unless in 4 wheel drive.

Not too sure where all these reviews of them being so amazing are coming from. They felt no better and in some cases worse than an M/T.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny i agree with you on that. I recently got the new bfg ko2 and compared them with my freinds duratracs and the ko2 worked much better. Of course i only have 33s so not quite the same test.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're comparing apples to oranges
You compared 2 MT tires to an AT tire
I would say it did pretty good against 2 MT tires.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with the OP. I love my duratracs during the six months when there's no snow/ice on the ground, it's a great tire, light, quiet, etc., but I too don't understand the rave reviews these tires get from everyone about how great these tires are in winter. My 2dr spins around like a top with these 315/70/17's. This winter I finally bought some dedicated winter rims/tires, General Altimax Arctics. They're not exactly fly paper but much safer than the duratracs on ice-covered Montana highways. Yes, I know how to drive, at least since 1967.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jchappies
You're comparing apples to oranges
You compared 2 MT tires to an AT tire
I would say it did pretty good against 2 MT tires.
On the contrary....muds are supposed to be worse in the snow which was my point in the test.

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 01-14-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Your test was in a very limited situation. There are 50 words in the Eskimo language for snow. There's a reason for that. And I tried to find a snowflake rated MT tire, and all Google could provide me was links to all terrains. There's a reason for that, too.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were in deep snow or slush the MT is going to do better
Old 01-14-2016, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Your test was in a very limited situation. There are 50 words in the Eskimo language for snow. There's a reason for that. And I tried to find a snowflake rated MT tire, and all Google could provide me was links to all terrains. There's a reason for that, too.
What? Eskimo? Ok....

Think you guys are missing the point....the Duratrac's did worse than the muds. My point was to show they are no better than muds in the snow......

Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jchappies
If you were in deep snow or slush the MT is going to do better
Nope.....we went in drifts that were 18-24" deep.

Zero difference..again, position of this was to show that the dt's did not better in the snow than an mt as everyone claims

Old 01-14-2016, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I ran DuraTracs on the same jeep that I I ran Maxxis Bighorns and Gooodyear MTRs on. Over those two particular MTs, the DuraTracs did far better on snow and ice.

At one point I was having driveline issues and spent a couple months of winter without being able to engage 4wd. The DuraTracs got me up the very steep and windy hill that I live on in 2wd without ever breaking loose. I can confidently say that the other two would not have had the same results.

Quick Reply: Duratrac's. ...NOT IMPRESSED