Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Duratracs or Nitto Grappler

Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratracs or Nitto Grappler

I'm between the Nitto Grappler and the Good Year Duratrac / 35 X 12.5 X 18 what's the difference in weight and tread wear. Are the Duratracs load on the Xpressway.

What's been your experiences.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which Grappler? Duratracs don't come in a 35x12.5

Duratracs are also quite a bit lighter then the trail grappler but I am not sure the weight difference on the terra.

I'd pick the Duratrac, it's a great tire...
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pm125
I'm between the Nitto Grappler and the Good Year Duratrac / 35 X 12.5 X 18 what's the difference in weight and tread wear. Are the Duratracs load on the Xpressway.

What's been your experiences.
The DT is like 18 lbs lighter and I'm guessing much more quiet. They are smaller than the TG's though. I really wish they came in a 37". Doubt you can go wrong with either though.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After having many issues with a few different Gu tires and no issues with Nitto, Nitto is my choice of tire for any truck or SUV. I do like the tread of the GY Duratracs, but my track record with them, I will choose between Trail grapplers or terra grapplers, depending on my chosen use. Nitto is a heavier tire, you can get PMetric a Trail grapplers in d load vs. the 35's are e load, which is more durable, harder compound. The terra is a d load tire. With that in mind, they don't lose balance, they wear evenly and more durable than GY off road and the tread lasts longer. Good year has a common nick name that is pretty accurate. Good for a Year
Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Like the 35" Duratracs enough that I bought a replacement set when my first wore out. I replaced them after about 60K miles, but bear in mind that there was a whole lot of tread left (I use my Jeep off-road, so treadwear indicators provide me no useful indication of when to replace the tires--treadware indicators are for street drivers only). I did have the sidewall on one puncture during the 463 miles offroad expedition from Ridgeway, CO to BLM land on the rim of the Grand Canyon. I was airing down to 15 PSI, which resulted in too much bulge in the sidewalls, exposing them to damage from sharp rocks. I now air down to 20 PSI, and have much better luck. Although one of the lightest 35s around, 35s are still heavy tires. At my age (64), I usually need someone to help me put it back on the spare tire rack, and the overhead rack tire (second spare) definitely requires assistance going up. LOL.

And, because comments are more interesting with images, LOL ...

Old 05-22-2014, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

I will never buy a Good for a Year tire again, Nitto all the way! I've had my Nitto's now for two years and 20k miles on them and they still look brand new. We go off road at least two-three times a month.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just ordered 5 Nitto 35 x 12.5 x 17 trail grapplers for my 08 rubicon. I am replacing the same tire that is a 295 ( they are going on my daughters truck ) and they still have over 25000 miles left on them. They are wearing great and in my opinion are very quiet on the road. They have 35000 miles on them. So long story short, my vote is for Nitto's.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OP is from Florida... doesn't matter what he gets.

Anyone that lives in a place with snow and ice should get Duratracs.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Roryslife
OP is from Florida... doesn't matter what he gets.

Anyone that lives in a place with snow and ice should get Duratracs.
Not everyone limits the use of their Jeep to their home state.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

25k onmy duratracs and they've been great..usually all i hear are positives about them. surprised i'm not seeing more in this thread.

Quick Reply: Duratracs or Nitto Grappler