Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

duratracs in the mud... 33's or 35's

Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duratracs in the mud... 33's or 35's

There is a lot of talk about their performance on ice and in snow... but how about in the mud... I have stock 18" moabs was looking to put a 3.5 aev lift on my 08 sahara.. 33's or 35's
Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 35" duratracs and am absolutely amazed at their mud performance. i have not gotten stuck yet and the only time i nearly almost got stuck was when i was trying to get over this mound of dirt while sitting in mud (i need gears). havent slipped since then and ive gotten through some sloppy stuff for an ALL TERRAIN. planning on 60k miles with the spare rotated in
Old 11-10-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually went wheeling with my Duratracs for the first time this weekend. I bought them as a winter tire, but there was precious little snow on the ground this past weekend.

I've got 315/70R17's (equivalent to a 35X12.5R17). I ran them at 11 psi.

My point of comparison is my 35X12.5R17 Toyo MT's. I run those at 9 psi because the sidewalls are so stiff. At 11 or 12 psi, the Toyos just didn't spread out like most tires would.

In the mud, they offer 80% of the performance that the Toyos do. While I certainly wouldn't complain about their performance, there were definitely times that I was thinking "Hmmm...I woulda stuck to that line if I had the Toyos on."

I don't think that you'll be horribly disappointed in the Duratrac's mud performance - it's certainly quite respectable for such a versatile tire. Just be aware that the smaller tread blocks and decreased void space that give the Duratracs their great road manners and solid snow/ice performance keep them from performing like a top-notch MT.

Everything you do with tires is going to be a trade-off. Decide what your priorities are, and make your decisions based on that. If I lived in a place that didn't see snow during seven or eights months out of the year, I would just run my Toyos year-round. I decided that great grip on icy hills (and icy highways) was more important than deep snow performance, mud performance, and bulletproof toughness from the Toyos. That's why I have Duratracs for the winter months.

Quick Reply: duratracs in the mud... 33's or 35's