Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DuraTracs & MT/R w/Kevlar only last two years?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Oh ok. That's the exact reason I'd asked the question - usage style will have a big impact on the life of tires. Someone doing street driving will see a lot more life out of these tires than one that goes rock crawling a lot or wheels hard.
I agree completely. I abuse my Duratracs on and off road. I'm pretty much just a rock guy and these tires haven't had any issues chunking or slicing lugs unlike my old bfg's. I like to use the throttle and these tires haven't let me down yet. I'm still confident i'll get at least 40k out of them, granted I'll prolly go bigger before I hit that mark

They grip rocks rather well, I only had about 3 or 4 lugs on this rock and it was still holding on for dear life:

Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Two years is realistic

Depends how hard your daily drive is, but getting two years out of open tread tires on pavement is doing pretty good. I lived on a mountain pass for 9 years and my daily 25mi r/t commute included 16mi going down and up a curvy hwy. I would only get one year out of agressive mudders but could get two or better out of milder all terrains. Its a tough choice to strike the right balance between off-road traction and on-road durability. For me the wallet was definitely a consideration. Rotating will help a lot.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 5 tire rotation

I'm not familiar with a 5 tire rotation. Does it really make a big difference if you rotate the spare? Also, if I asked for a 5 tire rotation would the service guy do it? I woul do it myself, but I live in an apartment and they dont like me working on my Jeep. I pick my battles with them, but having the car up on a jack seems to be where they draw the line
Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Bernigoober
I'm not familiar with a 5 tire rotation. Does it really make a big difference if you rotate the spare?...
Absolutely. Take into consideration that when doing a 5-tire rotation, you're spreading the wear and tear on the tires across 5 tires, rather than just 4. It's a little bit more work, but well worth it. I wish I'd done this a long time back, but now, I have a brand new spare on the back and the other 4 tires are down to around 11/32nd and 13/32nds after roughly 20K+ miles on them in about 1 1/2 years. Rotating it now will lead one tire to be bigger than the rest . So yes, it will make a big difference.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome, I will definatly do that when I get the new tires. I love all the stuff I can learn on here.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 PM
JK Newbie

Default 4 tire rotation, buy 3 next time around

If you don't rotate in your spare all is not lost. When it's time to buy new tires you only have to get three. The unused spare becomes the fourth and save the best of the old ones to be the new spare. It's like getting a 25% discount.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default My wife will love that idea haha

Originally Posted by Brentmo
If you don't rotate in your spare all is not lost. When it's time to buy new tires you only have to get three. The unused spare becomes the fourth and save the best of the old ones to be the new spare. It's like getting a 25% discount.
She is all for getting new tires on the Jeep this Spring/Summer. But there is a little sticker shock for 5 tires. If I say that next time we only have to buy 3, I think that will go a long way towards justifying some nicer tires. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My duratracs have been through a variety of conditions. I have been rotating them every 6k miles. Now I have about 15,000 miles on them and they still look brand new! I'm actually waiting for them to wear down so I can get 35s, but that isn't gonna happen for a LONG time. A++++ tire in my opinion.

Quick Reply: DuraTracs & MT/R w/Kevlar only last two years?