Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DuraTracs & MT/R w/Kevlar only last two years?

Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm expecting to get at least 40k out of my duratracs. I have 16k on them now and they are at about 70% tread. You won't be dissapointed with them. They are extremely good in snow, do very well on rocks, clear out mud pretty well, and are extremely smooth and quiet on the road.

Sounds like your shop isn't too knowledgable in the offroad tire department. I had my local town fare tire tell me the same thing when I got some bfg mt's installed on my old truck and they were trying to push at's on me. I had over 35k on those tires and they still had life when I got rif of the truck. Needless to say they weren't the ones who put the duratracs on my jeep, lol.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like you all are giving good feedback on the duratrac tires. Im sold. Another 50 per tire doesnt sound bad after hearing all the good about them.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks a lot!

Wow, Thanks for all the input. I feel a lot better about the idea of spending around 1000 dollars on tires haha. I'm glad I've got this place to get my information. I guess all the tire shops around here are used to putting street tires on huge rims for the Hummers I'm still torn between the Kevlars and the Duratracs. I guess it will come down to which is a better deal at the time.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Looks like you have some light cupping going on. Make sure you really rotate the 37s to avoid problems with chewing up tires.
I saw that too. Looks like you might be running to much air or you might need an alignment.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Bernigoober
...a few of them were telling me if I get either of these tires for a daily driver Jeep that I souldn't expect the tires to last more than 2 years. Sounds kind of weird to me. What is your take? I only drive 40-50miles a day.
You can't measure life of a tire on a timeline - there are lot of variables that go into how long a tire could last. Mileage is a more accurate way of measuring a tire's lifespan, and average lifespan for most M/T tires (and I do mean "most") would be around 35K - 45K miles. Now, if you put between 20K - 22K miles/year on your JK, sure - 2 years would be an accurate prediction, and if you indeed put around 50 miles/day, that's approx. 18K miles/year, and if there's wheeling involved, it'll take some life out of those tires - so you might look at around 2 - 2.5 years of life, maybe 3. Just a thought .
Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Id be happy with 20k miles. My baja claws have 8k on them, and are easily 2/3rds through the tread. Not to hijack, but does anyone know how interco trxus wear?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought a set of duratracs and did a lot of asking around before I did. Consensus was they'd last 50-55k miles if you do a five tire rotation and rotate at every oil change.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Thantos
...Consensus was they'd last 50-55k miles if you do a five tire rotation and rotate at every oil change.
Was that consensus based purely off of street/highway driving or including off-road wear and tear?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

That was from mostly on road and some mild off road. The guys I talked to don't do any rock crawling really, but do go off road 10-12 times a year.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Thantos
That was from mostly on road and some mild off road. The guys I talked to don't do any rock crawling really, but do go off road 10-12 times a year.
Oh ok. That's the exact reason I'd asked the question - usage style will have a big impact on the life of tires. Someone doing street driving will see a lot more life out of these tires than one that goes rock crawling a lot or wheels hard.

Quick Reply: DuraTracs & MT/R w/Kevlar only last two years?