Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Duratracs

Old 09-02-2016, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratracs

Title was supposes too say Duratracs but hey, Budweiser.

Looking to start building my JK a little as these horrible stock SRAs finally start wearing out. The Jeep is a 2012 with the 3.73 gears and will be getting a 2.5" TF coil lift. Looking to put 315/70r17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on it and have have some concerns.

1.) Can I run the Duratracs on the stock 5 spoke rims or will I run into issues? I figure I'll be alright as far as rubbing goes with the lift.

2.) is it too risky running the 35's before I do other mods (axles, gussets, driveshafts, etc)?? I plan on doing everything else as I go but am a little concerned with running 35's on a stock setup.

I don't do any crazy wheeling but as far as a daily is concerned I do beat on it. It's not being taken on full day wheeling trips but when I'm up the cabin I take the more difficult trail to the top

Thank!!

Last edited by Ksarge; 09-02-2016 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Drunk
Old 09-02-2016, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel spacers and maybe a leveling kit will be the cheapest and least involved way to accomplish 315s on your jk.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

You'll need wheel spacers. You may have to search around to find a shop that will mount the tires on the stock rims because they are so narrow. A mom and pop shop is your best bet.

If you do the lift without correcting the caster, you'll be back complaining about the "like driving on ice" feeling of the steering. Geometry correction brackets will take care of that.

As far as "will I run into problems without beefing other things up" goes, who knows? People run into those problems on completely stock vehicles, much less heavily modified ones. And people beat on vehicles with minimal mods on 35s and never have a problem. It's a crap shoot. It's like buying insurance: You do it in the hope that you never need it. But, something to consider: Most folks think a JK on 37s crawling rocks is taking more punishment than a fellow who drives out to his hunting cabin. Yet, rock crawling is really slow motion stretching and extension and such. With thousands of overlanding miles under my belt, let me assure you that those washboard dirt roads at typical driving speeds will beat up on a Jeep. Leaking seals, cracked welds, loosened and worn hardware, and on and on. Don't underestimate the punishment your Jeep is taking.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-03-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run 315/70R17 on my current 13 JKU sport.
I was on 3.73 gears and 2.5 TF coil lift for 3 years.

1.) you'll want/need spacers for the stock Rims. I like having my narrow 17x8.5 on 4.5 bs fuel trophy for spacing.
2.) you are probably fine on the 315/70s for a while if you aren't bouncing off rocks for the size.

recommendations ( not necessary!) :
a) get front adjustable lower control arms, or geometry correction brackets. I got the front TF monster Control arms to get everything back closer to spec in the front.
b) based on the changes you experience, you may want other things as well (track bars, diff air hose extended, brake lines extended)
c) gussets (cheap-ish insurance)

I only this year added other stuff for drivetrain (brakes, lockers, gears, sleeves, axle shafts) , and they weren't necessary I just got some really, really good prices and chance to do several things at once.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

You should not have any problems with 2.5 Lift and Goodyear Duratrac 315/70 R17. I am on my second Jeep JKU and on both JKUs I had AEV 2.5 Lifts and Goodyear Duratrac 315/70 R17 with no problems on or off-road. On my 2014 JKU I used the factory wheels with Spidertrax Wheel 1.5" Spacers, and make sure you purchase quality spacers and follow the instructions. On my new 2016 JKU I decided to go with Method Racing NV Wheels because I did not want to take the wheels off every 5000 miles and torque and check bolts on the spacers.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Teraflex leveling kit
Stock 17x7.5 rims 1.5" spacers
Duratracs 315/70/17
Trimmed pinch seam/rubi rails

So far I've rubbed a couple times turning fast and hard into a parking lot. Other than that, they're perfect. I plan on flat fenders or cutting the oem flares

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3629739902.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	668.3 KB
ID:	656353
Old 09-08-2016, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Craigslist your stock wheels. TF leveling kit will be fine, I have that exact setup but stayed away from wheel spacers and went American Outlaw Marshal 17x9 with 5.7" backspacing and works fine. Also went 4.56 gears to keep power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	65
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	656355  

Quick Reply: Duratracs