Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Duratrac vs KM2

Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad-Hatter
I'm on my 4th set of KM2s and love them. 40k miles out of a mud tire is pretty good imo. The thing that concerns me about the duratrac is they are only a 2 ply sidewall. I personally don't feel comfortable around the rocks in less than a 3 ply. The KM2s work great down here in AZ, but I'm from CO and if I wanted an aggressive tire and had to concider serious winter driving conditions...I would look at the Cooper Discoverer STT. I have friends back home that swear by them for their any terrain including snow/ice
Mad-Hatter - What are you seeing for mileage around town and on the highway? How many miles are you pulling to a tank with your setup? I am considering a 35x12.50x17 setup on 3.73 w/ a 6spd.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hypractv
Mad-Hatter - What are you seeing for mileage around town and on the highway? How many miles are you pulling to a tank with your setup? I am considering a 35x12.50x17 setup on 3.73 w/ a 6spd.

Thanks!
Ha... Just found your post from yesterday! https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post1923674
Old 11-10-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Get the Duratracs !!! I have BFG KM2 285/70R17 (33X11) on stock moabs, GREAT tire for off-road but not good on a daily driver..It cups, loud, and shakes the steering wheel. But it does wear well i rotate em every 6K miles and have 30K miles on them and they`re half worn. I`m trying to decide on Dick Cepek FC II, BFG AT KO, or the Cooper ST in a 265/70R17 or 275/70R17 The 285 looks a lil too big without a small lift to me
Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txdiamond17
Those tires look great! What size are you running scottman?
315/70/17. Specs from Goodyear are 34.6"x12.7".
Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Following this thread for more information!
People constantly post about trouble with the 2 ply sidewall of the Duratrac but I haven't really seen anybody post saying that thiers was damaged. Is it just that people assume the 2ply will be damaged or are there people who have actually had this happen?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

KM2! i trust the pattern. they grip excellent. they look tough. KM2 all the way. I love mine
Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by smartJK
KM2! i trust the pattern. they grip excellent. they look tough. KM2 all the way. I love mine
Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I never had the KM2s, but my BFG MTs that came stock on my Rubi were absolute crap in the snow. For this snowboard season I opted for the duratracs based on everyone's suggestions on various forums. I needed the snowflake rating for British Columbia highways anyway, and had the duratracs installed last week. Already saw a bit of snow/ice on a mountain hwy and they felt reassuringly solid. The thing which sold me on these ATs over the BFG ATs was the MT-like tread on the duratrac, as well as the fact that I was very unimpressed by the weak sidewall of the BFG tires I was running before this. I blew a sidewall offroading, and took a decent sized chunk out of another one. This winter will be a good test of these new tires, and we'll see whether or not I decide to get a different tire for wheeling next summer.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Vincent
Originally Posted by Jebus
I never had the KM2s, but my BFG MTs that came stock on my Rubi were absolute crap in the snow. For this snowboard season I opted for the duratracs based on everyone's suggestions on various forums. I needed the snowflake rating for British Columbia highways anyway, and had the duratracs installed last week. Already saw a bit of snow/ice on a mountain hwy and they felt reassuringly solid. The thing which sold me on these ATs over the BFG ATs was the MT-like tread on the duratrac, as well as the fact that I was very unimpressed by the weak sidewall of the BFG tires I was running before this. I blew a sidewall offroading, and took a decent sized chunk out of another one. This winter will be a good test of these new tires, and we'll see whether or not I decide to get a different tire for wheeling next summer.
The new KM2's, when siped, are amazing in all weather conditions, even ice...before siping they were just like any Mud-Terrain type tire, but after siping them, they're a different breed
Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Somebody had hinted on sidewall ply: 2 vs 3 ply sidewalls and how this relates to D vs E ratings. It was mentioned that this talks about the tire and not the sidewall.
Does an E rating always indicate 3 ply sidewall as well?
The reason I ask is that I have been looking at the 35" Duratracs for 17" rim and noted it was a D rating. The same tire for a 16" rim is E rated. If this indicates a 3 ply sidewall, I may consider this and then get 16" rims to run instead of my 17's.
I would then need to find out what the differences would be between 16" and 17" rims, pros and cons...!!!
Any imput would be greatly appreciated!!

As it turns out the 17" 35" Duratrac is backordered right now from everybody I have called (which is why I started to question the 16" tires/wheels).

Quick Reply: Duratrac vs KM2