Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Duratrac, Fierce attirude, or Falken Wildpeak?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Duratrac, Fierce attirude, or Falken Wildpeak?

Major brain fog on my part when it comes to deciding which tire to buy (35's). I'm trying to keep the cost down here since I just dropped major bucks on a ball joint replacement and the wife is not happy. 90% of the time the Jeep is my DD, but the other 10% is on rocks in the sierra's (and Moab next year). The Duratracs are top on the list (like the looks), but am somewhat concerned about the sidewalls. The Fierce Attitudes (funky name) look good (I can live with the sidewalls), but the cost differential isn't that much when you add in a tread lightly rebate. Heard good things about the Falken, but prefer a more aggressive tread pattern for rocks. Am I being to cautious about the sidewall strength? Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My choice was between the Duratracs and the Fierce Attitudes. I ended up with the Duratracs because just in case down the line I blew out a tire, I wanted a new tire that matched the set. I'm not sure how long the F/A tires would be around, so I went with the Duratrac. I've also read that the F/A are more true to size. My Duratracs measured 33.5 inches (used for to program with Procal).

If you want side wall protection, then why not go with the GY M/T w Kevlar?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

primarily a price consideration and the fact that I run the Jeep 90% as a DD and like quiet. I have some rubicon take-offs and they are a bit noisey and I don't like them in the rain. These 3 brands seemed the best as an all around tire.

could be I'm making a mistake here.....sigh!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Duratracs, they look more aggressive than any other A/T and they are quiet on the highway. I've seen the Falkens in the store and on a JK before, they look more like "street" tires. I haven't seen the Fierce tires in person yet. Plus Discount had great prices on the size I wanted. I've read a lot of reviews saying the Duratracs are good in snow and bad weather. They are great in the rain which is a plus in western WA State we get a lot of rain.

Last edited by armycop; 09-17-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Look at the Cooper at maxx. They are a great tire. Aggressive, quiet and had the armortek carcas. I am running them with about 15000 on them and they look brand new.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Fierce after a bunch of research. They were originally made by Goodyear, then passed down to Dunlop and Kelly (both of which GY owns). I found them online for $222 with shipping they were $239. I went to my local GY dealer and they quoted me around $280, but they were very easy to work with and they came down to $244, in the end I think they were about $250 mounted with a lifetime balance. The Duratracs actually were a little more expensive. They were a little hard to balance by looking at the amount of weights they used, which ranged from very little to a bunch. They ride good, are about as loud as the stock BFG M/T's I had and look good, barring the barb wire. The tread pattern is identical to the Duratrac, it's just spaced wider, so I'm assuming that's why it got the M/T designation. I will be on the trails next week with them, so that will be when I know how they do, but others seemed to like them. So, far I would say it was the right choice for me.

Last edited by Friday2322; 09-18-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Duratrac!!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is the sidewall of the Falken Wildpeak stronger than the Duratrac? I think both are rated "D load".
Old 09-18-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

There is a slight difference in the tread between the Fierce Attitude and the Duractracs. Duratracs are more siped, meaning you should have better performance in some ice and snow conditions.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Duratracs in all conditions, except deep mud. I did put a 5" gash in one of the sidewalls, I think it was a rock, maybe, spinning in mud.

Quick Reply: Duratrac, Fierce attirude, or Falken Wildpeak?