Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Duratrac 315/70/17 question

Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie here... Just got a 2013 JK Unlimited Sport Automatic with 3.73s... I’ve spent HOURS reading all the modified JK tech newbie stickies & countless posts, but there’s still some questions I have...

I’ve decided to buy some AEV Pintlers, mainly due to their hubcentric design. I know some will say hubcentric wheels aren’t necessary, but after the CONSTANT balancing issues I had with some XDs I think it’s worth the extra cost. I’d rather spend a few extra bucks now than make 4-5 trips to Discount Tire every time I have my tires rotated and spending an hour or two each trip.

I’ve decided to go with Duratracs based on reviews and the looks of the tire. If I don’t lift right now I want to get the 285/70/17s and leave the suspension stock for a couple of years and save some money (baby on the way!). I’m still contemplating the AEV 2.5 lift, but I’m being a warranty weenie right now.

But if I do decide to go with the lift I’d like to get some more info on the 315/70/17. According to the GY website, they measure 34.4”, they only weigh 6 lbs more than the 285/70/17s, and are only about 1.6” wider. I know there will be more rolling resistance due to the wider tire and larger circumference and I know I’ll need a new tire carrier.

My questions are:

1) Will these cause the same kinds of issues as a true 35” tire? Do I need to beef up my front axles, make other modifications, etc?

2) Is anyone happy running the GY Duratrac 315/70/17 tires with 3.73 gears? If so, how’s the power & MPGs?

3) I’d also like to know what these measure once mounted and once they have a load on them. Are they closer to 33s?

Last edited by flomingo; 02-17-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 2.5 TF lift with 315/70/17 Duratracs.

I have a Rubicon (4.10's) and noticed no difference in power. I do have a SuperChips and re-calibrated the speedo and adjusted for the new size. You'll be fine if you have a manual with the 3.73's.

I don't really pay attention to the MPG's but I would say it's pretty close to stock with maybe a loss of 1 or 2 if that.

They measure a little over 34.25 mounted. I have stock bumpers.

Very happy with the on and off road handling. You will be happy with them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3063875807.jpg
Views:	3857
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	423332  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
I have the 2.5 TF lift with 315/70/17 Duratracs.

I have a Rubicon (4.10's) and noticed no difference in power. I do have a SuperChips and re-calibrated the speedo and adjusted for the new size. You'll be fine if you have a manual with the 3.73's.

I don't really pay attention to the MPG's but I would say it's pretty close to stock with maybe a loss of 1 or 2 if that.

They measure a little over 34.25 mounted. I have stock bumpers.

Very happy with the on and off road handling. You will be happy with them.
Did you have to install axle C gussets or front chromoly axle shafts? I got conflicting info on whether or not I'd need to install them from two different shops where I've been getting lift & tire quotes.

It's not a super heavy tire so I'm wondering if I'd really need them. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I'm starting to lean toward spidertrax spacers & stock wheels to save some coin, especially if I'll need to beef up the front axle and/or regear down the road.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 12' Sport S with 3.73, 2.5" RK Max Travel suspension, and the GY 315/70R17. I love the tire, although I don't really have anything to compare it to as I've never ran anything else. If I don't bump to 37's when these things wear out, I'll buy the exact same tire. I've had the Jeep for a year this week, and I just turned 14k miles. I've done a 5-tire rotation at every oil change. No uneven wear or weird noises so far.

As for power, the 3.73 with auto transmission is fine with this tire. I think 4.10 would be better, but 3.73 are perfectly fine with plenty of power. I pulled a 2300 lbs trailer from VA to CA during a PCS move and had no problems keeping the cruise set at 70+ up hill or wherever. I think 4.10 or 4.56 would probably make it a little easier to accelerate, but 3.73's are fine.

I haven't reinforced the C's or axle tube yet, but it's on my list of things to do. I wheel about once a month, or twice a month if I'm lucky. I just make sure not to bash the Jeep too hard when offroading. Keep it in 4 low and just crawl without stomping on the gas pedal. I'll probably end up buying skids to protect my underneath before getting around to the C's and axle tubes.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smittycm
I have a 12' Sport S with 3.73, 2.5" RK Max Travel suspension, and the GY 315/70R17. I love the tire, although I don't really have anything to compare it to as I've never ran anything else. If I don't bump to 37's when these things wear out, I'll buy the exact same tire. I've had the Jeep for a year this week, and I just turned 14k miles. I've done a 5-tire rotation at every oil change. No uneven wear or weird noises so far.

As for power, the 3.73 with auto transmission is fine with this tire. I think 4.10 would be better, but 3.73 are perfectly fine with plenty of power. I pulled a 2300 lbs trailer from VA to CA during a PCS move and had no problems keeping the cruise set at 70+ up hill or wherever. I think 4.10 or 4.56 would probably make it a little easier to accelerate, but 3.73's are fine.

I haven't reinforced the C's or axle tube yet, but it's on my list of things to do. I wheel about once a month, or twice a month if I'm lucky. I just make sure not to bash the Jeep too hard when offroading. Keep it in 4 low and just crawl without stomping on the gas pedal. I'll probably end up buying skids to protect my underneath before getting around to the C's and axle tubes.
Thanks for the info, just what I needed to know! The guy at the shop who said I didn't need to do the reinforcement said the same thing, to take it easy off road and not launch it off anything or do any high speed stuff. I don't plan to get to crazy off roading for a good while, just some easy trails I can take the kids on without tearing stuff up.

Now I just gotta decide if I want to tackle the install of the 2.5 lift myself!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running 315 70 17 duratracs on a 12 sport unlimited Auto. I haven't noticed and power difference. The guy at my 4 wheel shop said I would only need to beef up the axle if I'm going to be doing some fast paced desert running stuff. Also he said as long as I'm not going 40mph and hit a huge boulder I should be good. He's been running 35s on stock axles for a year and wheels some moderate to hard trails and says he hasn't broken anything.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed my 315 70 17 duratracs two months ago. They only measure 33 3/4" installed on my jeep. I don't have aftermarket bumpers on either. There is a definite difference having the 3.73 but not horrible for me. I also installed the teraflex sleeve and gusset kit and I have the aev procal. The cost of the sleeve and gusset kit was nothing compared to a shot d30.....
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

I'm also running the TF 2.5" lift and duratracs in 315/70/17 on an 09 Sahara with what I believe to be 3.73s.

Love it. I ran without the lift for a couple weeks only on the street and had rubbing once or twice when I hit some big potholes. The tires ride nice, not too noisy, no complaints!

The lift wasn't hard to install. Pick a free Saturday, get a buddy and the right tools, get started early and go for it.

I haven't built up the axles in any way yet. It's probably worth doing if for no other reason than peace of mind.

I think I'm pretty mileage conscious when I drive and I try to coast as much as possible. After installing the AEV procal and validating it with an iphone app the jeep says its getting 17-18mpg and over 300 miles to a tank. Hopefully that's accurate.

Hope this is helpful!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by feeesh
I'm also running the TF 2.5" lift and duratracs in 315/70/17 on an 09 Sahara with what I believe to be 3.73s.

Love it. I ran without the lift for a couple weeks only on the street and had rubbing once or twice when I hit some big potholes. The tires ride nice, not too noisy, no complaints!

The lift wasn't hard to install. Pick a free Saturday, get a buddy and the right tools, get started early and go for it.

I haven't built up the axles in any way yet. It's probably worth doing if for no other reason than peace of mind.

I think I'm pretty mileage conscious when I drive and I try to coast as much as possible. After installing the AEV procal and validating it with an iphone app the jeep says its getting 17-18mpg and over 300 miles to a tank. Hopefully that's accurate.

Hope this is helpful!
What MPG do you think you were getting before the ProCal? I have a "13 JKUS with 275/70/18 and I'm getting numbers around 12-14 MPG. I only have around 800 miles on the clock so far. I'm pretty sure I'm ordering a ProCal tomorrow. I'm just wondering if you were getting similar numbers.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info everyone! My mind is much more at ease about buying these tires. I found out a buddy of mine at work can help me install this lift. He's got all the stuff we need in his garage.

I'll consider regearing and reinforcing the front axle further down the road...

Last edited by flomingo; 02-20-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Duratrac 315/70/17 question