Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DuraTrac 255/75R17

Old 07-16-2015, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DuraTrac 255/75R17

Any reason why these tires are so much cheaper than other sizes smaller or even around the same +-1"? DuraTrac 255/75R17

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....7WDT&tab=Specs
Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are P rated tires. Most other ones are LT tires which are usually more expensive. I have these and like them a lot. They are very light compared to other tires and still capable for my use.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_jeep_now
They are P rated tires. Most other ones are LT tires which are usually more expensive. I have these and like them a lot. They are very light compared to other tires and still capable for my use.
What does your "use" consist of?
Old 07-16-2015, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_jeep_now
Also, being that it's P rated, would the softness make it so the tread wears faster? Or does that ONLY apply to the side wall?
Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK703
Also, being that it's P rated, would the softness make it so the tread wears faster? Or does that ONLY apply to the side wall?
Signifies its primarily used for passenger cars and minivans. The sidewall are typically weaker, where as most LT tires are a little more aggressive tread and have a heavier sidewall rating.

I looked into Duratracs, as I have installed them on many different vehicles, but in that size they're a little weaker because of the 'P' rating.
I just got back from the shop with a new set of Cooper ST Maxx tires as a replacement for my 5 year old BFG Mud-Terrain tires that came on my JK.
If you're mostly on road with a little bit of trail once in awhile, then the P rating is not going to hinder you much. Less weight, better MPG etc......
If you like the trail as much as possible, you're going to want (need) a beefier tire. I went with the 255/75R17 even though my JK is lifted 2.5", it's a smoother ride and turning 35" tires would be too hard on the front end and the wallet.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PhantomRescue
Signifies its primarily used for passenger cars and minivans. The sidewall are typically weaker, where as most LT tires are a little more aggressive tread and have a heavier sidewall rating.

I looked into Duratracs, as I have installed them on many different vehicles, but in that size they're a little weaker because of the 'P' rating.
I just got back from the shop with a new set of Cooper ST Maxx tires as a replacement for my 5 year old BFG Mud-Terrain tires that came on my JK.
If you're mostly on road with a little bit of trail once in awhile, then the P rating is not going to hinder you much. Less weight, better MPG etc......
If you like the trail as much as possible, you're going to want (need) a beefier tire. I went with the 255/75R17 even though my JK is lifted 2.5", it's a smoother ride and turning 35" tires would be too hard on the front end and the wallet.
Thanks for the explanation and opinion. I plan to just put on Rubicon suspension with a leveling kit. Then get some wheel spacers. 95% of my driving is on the road, but a couple times a year I do some mudding and logging roads. I also do a fair amount of snow driving which is why I want the Duratracs. Looks like this might be the route I go. I have 34" Duratracs and 3" spring lift on my 08' and loved them.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Yep, you'll want the sidewall thicker than a P tire if you ever offroad. Sharp rock will quickly shred a passenger sidewall.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK703
What does your "use" consist of?
I use my JK as DD, mostly highway with occasional weekend escape on fire roads. No rock crawling for me so these tires do the job.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OkieM3
Yep, you'll want the sidewall thicker than a P tire if you ever offroad. Sharp rock will quickly shred a passenger sidewall.
So you think the $50 extra per tire (assuming same size @~32", but just LT rated sidewall) would be worth it over the P rated tire?

LT235/80R17 - $212 per
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....7WDT&tab=Specs

vs.

P-Rated 255/75R17 - $160 per
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=45-69212208-2

Quick Reply: DuraTrac 255/75R17