Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dunlop Radial Mud Rover

Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop Radial Mud Rover

Do any of you guys have experience with this tire?

I am considering it for a number of reasons:

1. Weight - Tire Rack lists a 35x12.5x17 (34.3") at 56 lbs, which is far better than other MT's of similar size and even better than the BFG AT, with a 315/70/17 (34.46") weight of 64 lbs. I am looking for the best combination of fuel efficiency and tolerable off road ability, and these seem to beat the tires that are often recommended for this combo in both MPG/weight and off road ability as they are a true MT.

2. Price - a 35/17 (although really a 34") for $188.

3. Size - It might be just my paranoia but for whatever reason I would rather something closer to a 34" because of potential wear on the Unlimited. Even though I love the look of a true 35, I think that a 34" might help the truck hold up better, considering the fact that I am trying to lift and upsize on a budget. Plus the fact that I can squeeze them onto the original 17" rims helps with the overall weight factor.

What do you guys think? Is this basically a get what you pay for situation or is it the clear cut decision I think it is? How are they on/off road?

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 07-09-2008, 11:47 PM
JK Newbie

I got the Mud rovers for the same reasons you did. + a 35000 mile warranty.

The look great, they have done wonders for me off road. I haven't hit any mud yet here in Orange County... : ( but as far as rocks, hills, climbing, etc.. they are incredible, and i'm glad i went with this tire.

I have heard a few people don't like them, but i have yet to be disappointed. they don't make too much noise on road, but they make enough to make you feel bad ass..... and they aren't too rough on the road, but they are rough enough to make you feel bad ass.... haha

seriously, no regrets 100% satisfied. and if you get a good negative offset rim like i did. you will have no rubbing : )
Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 AM
***erator

Originally Posted by Doherty45
Plus the fact that I can squeeze them onto the original 17" rims helps with the overall weight factor.
I do not think you can fit a 35/34" tire on the factory rim with out spacers, because of rubbing issues. Make sure you check on that first.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not from personal experience... but a friend has them on a Tahoe. He loves them in the mud...
but at just under 20k miles on them and they are under half tread, maybe due to a heavier
vehicle (?) Also, they're quite a bit louder than my KM's. All said probably good choice for the
$$$ on a lighter jeep.

Another cheaper option is a DynaPro MT RT03 (315/70) are 34.5" for around $200.

Personally, I would not scrimp on the tires. From what I've heard and read the
KM2's are the only way to go. Save the cash on other mods.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lv jk
I do not think you can fit a 35/34" tire on the factory rim with out spacers, because of rubbing issues. Make sure you check on that first.
Thanks man, yeah I am definitely planning on running some spacers.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

never had this model but i have had a few dunlops on trucks that i bought. I can say that they are good tires when new but a half tread they all had shifted belts and uneven wear. the dealership i worked at refused to sell them to customers for the same reason. just my 2 cents.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow, takes me back, the first set of tires I bought for a Jeep(YJ) was the Dunlop Mud Rovers about 10 years ago. I honestly didn't know they still had them! I don't remember much about them, but that's probably good! I remember a lot of good reviews when I bought them and they never gave me problems. They were good in the mud from what I remember and a nice tread.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had 255/85 16R (33") on my RAM 1500. Awesome in the mud, rocks and snow, but hell on wheels if you get on ice. For ice the rubber compond is too hard, tread blocks too smooth, and no sipes to help grip on ice. So if you are not worried about using them on icey roads you can't go wrong. Awesome tire for the price.
My RAM has had nothing but Dunlopes for over 10 years, in either Mud Rovers or Radial Rovers, all great tires IMO.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought these in 33x12.5...I really debated between these and the BFG MTs. For the price I could not pass them up. I only have about 2,000 miles on them so I cannot wear yet. I have had them in mud, performed great. If I can get at least 30-40K miles out of them I will be more than happy....has anyone seen these types of life spans?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keithbrown315
I just bought these in 33x12.5...I really debated between these and the BFG MTs. For the price I could not pass them up. I only have about 2,000 miles on them so I cannot wear yet. I have had them in mud, performed great. If I can get at least 30-40K miles out of them I will be more than happy....has anyone seen these types of life spans?

I'm seriously thinking about getting these in a 35" because of price and availability... can you post some pictures and some more comments about them?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Dunlop Radial Mud Rover