Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dumb noob question

Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb noob question

I want to go to a 35" tire - would love 35x12.5. I have 18" wheels. Would I need a lift to accommodate proper clearance for street driving? My JK is my daily driver and the most off-road driving I would do is on the beach. I'd prefer not installing a lift kit. Would a leveler be an option if I do need to elevate the front? I was told by a local shop that 16' wheels won't fit properly, and my only option for 18" wheels with 35" tires is a lift. Would going to a 17" wheel help?

I'm sure there are folks looking to flame me with smart arse replies, so constructive criticism would be appreciated. I'm on a Corvette Forum and help noobies all the time ~ we all have to start somewhere.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is not the size of the rim but the back spacing. If you get the right back spacing you should be fine. I heard the 15" rim can rub, but have not run 15 myself. I would suggest doing a small spacer up front to level
AMen
Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

15s fit. but i have 3.5" backspacing
Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

keep your 18" stock sahara wheels
Buy 1.5 spaces
put a 2.5 budget boost ...

Same set up for me but I went for the RC 3.5 lift... looks and rides great... I LOVE IT !!!!
Levelling kit will sit to low IMHO...
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

I'm no expert, fellow noob. But from my research, you can use your stock 18" wheels, but would need 1.5" spacers like SpiderTrax. I wouldn't like the look of 35s without a little lift. But you could do the Teraflex leveling kit or the AEV spacer lift. Both would correct the factory rake also I think.

I went with a 2.5" lift from AEV plus 34" Toyos since mine's mostly a daily driver. I love it.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepincanada
keep your 18" stock sahara wheels
Buy 1.5 spaces
put a 2.5 budget boost ...

Same set up for me but I went for the RC 3.5 lift... looks and rides great... I LOVE IT !!!!
Levelling kit will sit to low IMHO...
Thanks for your advice!! Do you have a picture you can post? I'd like to see your stance - plus I love looking at completed projects
Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jacksonian
I'm no expert, fellow noob. But from my research, you can use your stock 18" wheels, but would need 1.5" spacers like SpiderTrax. I wouldn't like the look of 35s without a little lift. But you could do the Teraflex leveling kit or the AEV spacer lift. Both would correct the factory rake also I think.

I went with a 2.5" lift from AEV plus 34" Toyos since mine's mostly a daily driver. I love it.
Thanks for your advice - I appreciate the guidance here. Any chance you can post a few pictures of your current setup? Sounds like something to consider since my JK is my DD
Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I too am pretty new to the jeep scene as well but have been doing research for the past 6 months on lift and how you can do it. you can run 35's with a leveling kit and that's it. There are a few guys around that it. The catch to that is you will have to get flat flares or trim your stock ones (to save money). Wayolife has an awesome right up on it. IMO that is the route to go if dont want too much lift. On my phone or else I would post the link. From what I have gathered that will be fine for what you want since it sounds like you won't go to full flex. Veterans please correct me if any of this is wrong.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tatrhed
I too am pretty new to the jeep scene as well but have been doing research for the past 6 months on lift and how you can do it. you can run 35's with a leveling kit and that's it. There are a few guys around that it. The catch to that is you will have to get flat flares or trim your stock ones (to save money). Wayolife has an awesome right up on it. IMO that is the route to go if dont want too much lift. On my phone or else I would post the link. From what I have gathered that will be fine for what you want since it sounds like you won't go to full flex. Veterans please correct me if any of this is wrong.
Thanks ~ I will search for the write up you suggested. Appreciate the direction.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JoeRif
Thanks for your advice!! Do you have a picture you can post? I'd like to see your stance - plus I love looking at completed projects
here you go....
It says procomp wheels in my signature but in the picture are my stock wheels strait out from the dealer. The procomps are getting powder coated...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ucjp.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	366913

Quick Reply: Dumb noob question