Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

dual steering stabilizer?

Old 02-15-2016, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual steering stabilizer?

Im planning on buying new shocks, iv got a 2.5" lift on my 09 jku. Shocks are stocks, so i planned on replacing with either the skyjacker, or rough country. "Any opinions on either of these would be appriciated".That all being said i can spend the extra $ and get the dual steering stabilizer or i can just go with the single. Question being, is there enough benifit to having the duals to do it or not? I do have a touch of bump steer at the moment, have bought rough country track bar relocation mount just havent put on yet. Appriciate your time.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont need dual stabilizer ever. There are tons of guys who don't run a steering stabilizer at all.
I've heard RC's shocks are trash but i have no first hand knowledge.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old 02-15-2016, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Guess im lost with the facepalm......
Old 02-15-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jcasto
If I had to guess its because the words skyjacker, rough country, and dual steering stabilizer were in the same post. Skip both of those and go with a set of ranchos, or save a little more and upgrade to an even better set of shocks, you'll be very happy you did. As far as the dual steering stabilizer, hard pass on that one. You need to figure out what is causing your steering issues and fix it, not just cover it up with steering stabilizers. You might not notice it with two stabilizers, but all of your parts will, and you'll prematurely wear out and/or break some parts, making it more expensive in the long run.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dual steering stabs are severely frowned upon in the jeep community.

That said, if your asking if the duals will add some quality to your ride, no they will not. At least, not unless you drive your Jeep with front end parts nearly falling off because your allowing near suicidal amounts of worn parts to live under your rig. Most folks that claim the duals help is because they have multiple worn parts and are trying to toss a Band-Aid on instead of doing a wholesale front suspension upgrade with OEM quality (or better) parts. (Never buy Autozone Duralast junk! I made that mistake on my son's 2004 Blazer and in a year it failed state inspection because most of the tie rods / joints were bad already!!! He put 6K miles on it chasing girls around town while in high school.)

If your building it for show and you personally love the looks of the duals, then tell the Jeep guys to bite a schlong and go do it your way, because it's your Jeep and you like it.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spending money on shocks and then finding out you hate them sucks. I've been there more times than I can count.

In the past I have had good success with OME and Bilstein. This go round I will be going with the adjustable(9000) Ranchos. A simple turn of a knob gets you adjustable where you want or need to be. I'm just waiting for their annual "Shocktober" event which is usually buy 3 get 4th free.

I will be adding whatever cheapest Rancho steering stabilizer they make only because I want my shocks and SS to match for aesthetic purposes.

If you "need" a dual steering stabilizer, you really need to look at your front end parts. Something isn't right.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Appriciate all the helpfull responses, and excuse me if i sound like an ass. I just wanted to know if they duals were worth it, ride wise. I would reather learn for others mistakes than make them on my own and waste $. The two brands i spoke of were really the only ones i knew anything about. Had a set of skyjackers on a 08 silverado never had an issue fairly good ride quality, my last jk had the rough country nitros already installed when i bought it and again never had an issue. But ill look into the ones you all mentioned for sure. As far as the looks of the duals i do like them i had saw a set on a jk in town and thought about them myself. With knowing now what you all have told me i will forget about em. The bump steer isnt really a huge issue as of now, went through all the major front end parts before i installed the lift as i can tell all is great. I kept the wheels and tires and spacers off my rubicon so all is the smae there. Iv experienced the true meaning of death wobble before in an older tj, not even close... i belive the current stabilizer bushings are worn. Turning the wheel from 9to3 shows play, and the relocation mount bought was off a tip from a fellow jeeper who had advised it.... who knows!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appriciate all the helpfull responses, and excuse me if i sound like an ass. I just wanted to know if they duals were worth it, ride wise. I would reather learn for others mistakes than make them on my own and waste $. The two brands i spoke of were really the only ones i knew anything about. Had a set of skyjackers on a 08 silverado never had an issue fairly good ride quality, my last jk had the rough country nitros already installed when i bought it and again never had an issue. But ill look into the ones you all mentioned for sure. As far as the looks of the duals i do like them i had saw a set on a jk in town and thought about them myself. With knowing now what you all have told me i will forget about em. The bump steer isnt really a huge issue as of now, went through all the major front end parts before i installed the lift as i can tell all is great. I kept the wheels and tires and spacers off my rubicon so all is the smae there. Iv experienced the true meaning of death wobble before in an older tj, not even close... i belive the current stabilizer bushings are worn. Turning the wheel from 9to3 shows play, and the relocation mount bought was off a tip from a fellow jeeper who had advised it.... who knows!
How old is your steering stablizer? From experience and reading on the forum i have noticed that the bushings wear due to another steering component going bad and dont really get "worn out" for quite some time. The dealer was telling me that JK's dont get death wobble and that my steering is fine, just need to replace my worn stablizer. Come to find out bad drag link end. So if someone who works on jeeps everyday can look past a bad drag link and blame it on the stablizer then anyone can.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Looks old, jeep has 60,000 on it not sure if its branded or not no stickers or stamping.

Quick Reply: dual steering stabilizer?