Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

dual batteries or nay????

Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok the redundancy angle makes sense. I appreciate the responses... sans the obvious sarcasm. I guess it should be on my future mods list now
Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a 2008 and saw the space where two batteries would fit, just never pulled the trigger to do it. But where would a 2nd battery fit in a 2012? Where are people putting them? It seems way to tight in a 2012 for a 2nd battery.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, I'm all about redundancy. And having backups for when things fail. Seriously though, I think it is money well spent when you're backwoods camping and you can start your rig no matter what. Unless you're out of gas.... anybody have a good write up on jerry cans??!! This is all really good info for us just starting into our mods. Has anyone out there used the M.O.R.E. dual tray? If so, is it worth the money? I think I'll piece my dual kit together over the long winter and have it ready to install in the spring.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Would it be a better idea to run a larger alternator? such as this, it's what I was thinking of doing and just running one marine grade battery...opinions
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55112_5011.htm
Old 12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

A cover is not a bad idea and I'd almost call it a wise investment if you are using synthetic rope and want to increase its longevity. The elements are unkind and it cuts exposure. Folks who make my winch did not sell a cover for it but found one from Ramsey (American made and blue, I like the idea of both) that fit snug. Could make your own but gluing, tapeing and stiching neoprone seams = fail for me

Weight was mentioned as a negative and is my first thought as the biggest con outside of expense and increased heat under the hood. Small price to payand probably over-thinking the air flow.

Sears plat here as well. glass mat = win and the warranty is great even pro-rated. No experience with others though so not going to trash something I never even tried myself.

Had asked the same question on the exact alternator last week (mean green). I think in 2009 or 2010 the stock changed over to a lower amp but not 100% on that. Was trying to get the specs before I pulled the trigger myself. Just have to find a NJ address to ship to to avoid the sales tax. One battery = no redundancy so not sure I would bother even with marine but definately not for a deep cycle.

Last edited by Langhorne; 12-22-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lmao i guess nobody has a good idea for they guy who started the thread on which kit is good one to go for?? lol
Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by samhardy2008
lmao i guess nobody has a good idea for they guy who started the thread on which kit is good one to go for?? lol
Rugged ridge tray, cole hersee isolator, 2 good batteries, quality connectors, and wire. It's not "cheap" especially after losing all the money to benchmark but it's what I am doing. I will take some pics as I'm trying to get it done tomorrow.
I'm not sure but rugged ridge also makes a wiring kit. I like the cole hersee isolator as I can just hook it up and not worry about it.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Naahh at the end you should ONLY have 2 Positives and 2 Negatives (OR 8 all tolled if using a dual terminal battery) You are just like me .... if you are going to do it .... effin' DO IT GOOD!
Amen brother. Do it right and do it once. If I had serious disposiable income I'd be seriously dangerous. Military battery clamps

As to the question on kits. May wish to keep to keep an eye on this thread.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t-up&highlight

If you want it sooner then later you have to source the parts.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhh thank you
Old 12-23-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by samhardy2008
Ahhh thank you
Yes, thank you from me too. I picked up a Cole Hersee master catalog (D-275) yesterday. Wow. I'm old school and still like a real catalog better than a website. There is a lot of cool stuff in there. Definitely worth a look if you have the time.

Quick Reply: dual batteries or nay????