Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

dual batteries or nay????

Old 12-21-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dual batteries or nay????

so after messing around with my new winch i realized that my lights dim down a little when im using it and im wondering if i need to run a dual battery set up or what people??
Old 12-21-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read somewhere that if you think you might need a second then you probably do and that's what made up my mind for me. More positives then negatives

Went with the M.O.R.E tray and the best price I found was at 4wd. searched for cupon codes and even got an additional 5% off with free shipping
Bought a cole hersee isolator from here hxxp://www.elecdirect.com/product.aspx?id=15425
Perfect if you don't want to micromanage the batteries.

Super easy to wire in, just connet the positive from each battery and done. Second battery needs a new ground run, as well. The rest is optional.

I opted for a momentary switch and indicator light to take advantage of the "boost" for starting from both batteries and the light for quick status. Again, easy to wire. So much so that the diagram to do so is on a sticker affixed to the isolator itself.

For good measure or just for fun adding a voltmeter to each battery since neither are deep cycle. Liked this hxxp://www.autron.com.au/newweb/index1280.htm Glowshift had some nice ones also.
Went with these hxxp://www.jegs.com/i/AEM/017/30-4400/10002/-1?parentProductId=#moreDetails
because I like the digital sweep, range, dust boot option and 3 digit readout along with the simple wiring schema (2 wire switched power and ground, rest is optional). There's a video of it one youtube. hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNqgLAla-Lc

Couldn't decide on a gague pod and no 2011 yet here hxxp://www.jkgaugepods.com/ so trying this on the dash for a start hxxp://egauges.com/vdo_indA.asp?PN=POD-005 Liked the turn-in towards the driver. If it looks like ass or rice I'll just have to make one of my own.

All I need now is some warm weather and no rain.

Soooooo my vote would be go for it.

There's even easy options for the + from batteries to the isolator if not comfortable visiting a local welding supply and swage/crimping. You'll pay a premium though. One end to end at 17" and one side by side 12" wold do for the isolator.

hxxp://www.elecdirect.com/product/3053d9a8-3fd7-4d3f-8986-868b52f2aac8.aspx
hxxp://www.elecdirect.com/product/c2bdc04f-b190-4861-9f94-c106024f0f1a.aspx

ground for second battery 5' for example (have to replace the terminal side though)
hxxp://www.elecdirect.com/product/1c53fd79-9a7a-4885-9a7f-a5355d26cf52.aspx

On a side note might consider an ANL fuse for you winch. Easy to add. Contacted the mfg on mine for recommended amps on fuse. Short cable, fuse, holder = done and easy insurance.

Last edited by Langhorne; 12-21-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Just about everything your jeep does, draws electricity. You kill a battery and you are sol. Running duals was one of my first mods.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks y'all,I appreciate it....one more question,is my winch ok exposed to the rain or should I buy a winch cover? I just sold my commuter car and my Jeep has officially become my daily driver but yeah I've never owned a winch before that's why im asking such a noon question lol
Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

While I don't have a winch yet, I figure a cover is cheap insurance, so I'll do it once I get a winch.

Thanks to the above poster for the dual battery setup info!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here comes the question that is inevitable: which batteries have people had the best luck with in a dual setup? Optima Yellowtops, Redtops, Diehards, Interstate....etc etc. I need a second battery that can handle a 20 amp load for at least 2 hours without the engine running. Oh yeah, and it would be -20 deg C or colder out too.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Technically it would depend on the winch, regarding the cover....but the real answer is be safe and throw a cover on it
Lots of threads on batteries over the years. I went with die hard platinums, as they had the least amount of negative feedback. The little effers are expensive though....bout $200 a piece
Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

I have two Diehards Platinums also in my Benchmark Designs stage 3. Works great with my winch, ARB fridge, ARB air lockers, several lights, etc. I even had to jump myself once after leaving my keys in the ignition overnight. Lots of positives and the only cons I can think of for having one is that dual battery trays will limit your choices on snorkles. I have an AEV snorkel, but others will work. Also, only certain trays will fit with a hemi. I was told mine won't fit, but I've seen another brand that will in case you ever go down that route.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

After nwapache turned me on to Diehard platinums I did some research on them. They are dry cell deep cycle and made by the company who makes Odyssey. I am getting a set soon.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a dual battery setup in mine as well with 2 DieHard Platinum marine batteries. The setup works great. I run my winch, several lights, ARB fridge, and power inverter off of it.

Quick Reply: dual batteries or nay????