Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DS Sanity Check

Old 01-24-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you all for your advise.. it is appreciated.. i will order the rear ds and Rear adj uppers next week and then keep the front anti swaybars connected up front so as not to flex so much.. ill need to run about 4 months like this until I can get the front ds on order..

thanks again
Old 01-24-2012, 03:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, I have a 4door. And yes, the rear shaft is fine with 4 inches of lift. I was not comparing my rear shaft to a 2door rear shaft.

I stated that I lost the front joint. The boot you were referring to, the one covering the slip joint, was fine. The driveshaft was contacting the skid, which is just some minor gouging below the boot, not a big deal. But, due to the steeper angles, I lost the joint at the tcase. Again, the big boot that you were referring to was undamaged. Even disconnected and fully flexed, the regular OME shocks were not giving enough droop for driveshaft/tranny contact. The rzeppa at the tcase failed. It was pinched from the angles, spit grease, and started getting noisy. Hence, the entire shaft was replaced.

And yes, I realize that losing a front shaft is only an inconvenience, as you can pull it and drive just fine. I also realize that the rear shaft on a 2door may be more likely to fail first. But that does NOT mean that it will, 100% of the time, fail before the front. As I said, there are posts on this very site saying that 2door fronts have failed with the rear having no issues (yet). If you want to continue making blanket statements that 2doors will, with absolute certainty, lose the rear shaft first, go for it.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yes, I have a 4door. And yes, the rear shaft is fine with 4 inches of lift. I was not comparing my rear shaft to a 2door rear shaft.

I stated that I lost the front joint. The boot you were referring to, the one covering the slip joint, was fine. The driveshaft was contacting the skid, which is just some minor gouging below the boot, not a big deal. But, due to the steeper angles, I lost the joint at the tcase. Again, the big boot that you were referring to was undamaged. Even disconnected and fully flexed, the regular OME shocks were not giving enough droop for driveshaft/tranny contact. The rzeppa at the tcase failed. It was pinched from the angles, spit grease, and started getting noisy. Hence, the entire shaft was replaced.

And yes, I realize that losing a front shaft is only an inconvenience, as you can pull it and drive just fine. I also realize that the rear shaft on a 2door may be more likely to fail first. But that does NOT mean that it will, 100% of the time, fail before the front. As I said, there are posts on this very site saying that 2door fronts have failed with the rear having no issues (yet). If you want to continue making blanket statements that 2doors will, with absolute certainty, lose the rear shaft first, go for it.
With all of that being said, what would you rather drive home on? A front axle or a rear axle? Replace the rear shaft, and you will be stoked that you can still drive highway speeds home when the front shits out. Replace the front, and you will be driving 15 mph in 4-lo to your house when the rear goes.

"Common" sense.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you'll forgive me but, up until now, you never clarified as much.

and, as i have stated, you have a 4-door which has a MUCH longer rear drive shaft. the fact that your front shaft gave out first may be a surprise to you but not to me. why you continued to run it in spite of your lift and what you've read online is also just par for the course. it's unfortunate that you're such a post whore because you always come off like you know what you're talking about when in fact you know nothing other than what you've read.

it would figure that you would need it to be 100% of the time to convince you that it's a good idea to replace a rear shaft before a front on a 2-door. never mind that a rear drive shaft will fail first a MAJORITY of the time. of course, what do you care, you got to shoot off your mouth like you actually knew what you're talking about and without any consequence and all because you don't have a 2-door. who am i to argue you with the amazingly great advice you have to offer
Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

So we're talking about catastrophic failure on the trail now? Or replacing the rear + the upper arms when the rear shaft ain't broke, having no money to replace the front, and not going on the trails because you only have 2wd?

If you are on a tight budget, why replace it if it isn't broken? Wait, watch the joints, and replace if/when needed. It could be that you lose the front first.

Common sense...
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Blakspire
With all of that being said, what would you rather drive home on? A front axle or a rear axle? Replace the rear shaft, and you will be stoked that you can still drive highway speeds home when the front shits out. Replace the front, and you will be driving 15 mph in 4-lo to your house when the rear goes.

"Common" sense.
thank you and, don't mind him. he's been around for a long time now and is just a post whore who's in love with all wonderful information that he's acquired web wheeling and is now eager to offer you.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 PM
JK-Forum Founder

So we're talking about catastrophic failure on the trail now? Or replacing the rear + the upper arms when the rear shaft ain't broke, having no money to replace the front, and not going on the trails because you only have 2wd?

If you are on a tight budget, why replace it if it isn't broken? Wait, watch the joints, and replace if/when needed. It could be that you lose the front first.

Common sense...
if you take the time to get off your computer and go wheeling once in a while and to destinations that are a thousand miles away or more, having a rear drive shaft that isn't going to catastrophically fail on you is something that you want. if you don't think it can happen over the course of one trip like this, it just goes to show how little you really know and the kind of common sense you really have.

Quick Reply: DS Sanity Check