Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DS Sanity Check

Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS Sanity Check

Help me verify my reasoning and choices..i have done my homework and I know the issues with both the front and rear driveshafts .

2011 2dr Auto Trans sport

I have recently installed a RK 2.5" Max travel and I actually got about 4" in the front and 3.5" in the back..2" bumpstop front and rear. i am expecting about .5" settling to occur..

the front is a no brainer i am going to get a custom shaft made so that i can clear the skids and transmission when flexing it out..the rear on the other hand i am thinking that i can fix the pinion angle with the RK adjustable Upper CAs..

some things you should know.. i am broke so front and rear shafts are not an option at this point.. will the Rear Uppers make enough difference for the rear to last another year? or should i just get the rear DS instead and not flex out my rig until i can get $$ saved for the front DS.

thanks in advance guys..

Choices :

1. Front DS and RK Rear ADJ Upper CAs
2. Rear DS and Swaybars stay connected until i can afford a front DS

I wheel at least once a month, usually 2xs
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

that's a tough one. installing a new front will allow you to clear your auto tranny and skid but, being that you have a 2-door, your rear shaft is most likely going to fail sooner than later. even with a torn boot, you can make your front shaft work for you for quite some time. i personally might go with the rear shaft first but, if you don't already have them, you will need to install rear adjustable control arms so that you can set your pinion angle.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

make sure i understood correctly

WOL my best option would be. (Buy me the most time to save $$)

Rear DS, Adj Rear Uppers, and leave the sway bars on until i can swing the Front DS.. ?

thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by jeep-n-it
make sure i understood correctly

WOL my best option would be. (Buy me the most time to save $$)

Rear DS, Adj Rear Uppers, and leave the sway bars on until i can swing the Front DS.. ?

thanks in advance
yeah, that's what i would do. being that you will most likely be doing way more road miles than flexing, i would go with the rear shaft first.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

thanks.. i appreciate it
Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with WOL. Its alot easier to limp home with rear wheel drive than front.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Or wait and replace whichever starts spitting grease first.

You could also watch craigslist for free/very cheap take-offs, just in case.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Or wait and replace whichever starts spitting grease first.

You could also watch craigslist for free/very cheap take-offs, just in case.
do you always have to give such uninformed advise? the front shaft won't spit grease before the rear. the slip shaft boot will catch and tear the first time the OP flexes his jeep and unlike you, he knows as much. being that he has a 2-door, the rear cv boots and joints will fail prematurely and, given the circumstances and the fact that he lives in FL, addressing it first would be the smarter thing to do.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

That's odd, since I have read threads from guys with 2doors that lost the front shaft first. There were even a few who posted about taking advice and replacing the rear before it was damaged, then not having the money to replace the front when it went. For me, I lost the joint on the front shaft, but the boot was absolutely fine. So yes, I'll stand by my comments.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by nthinuf
That's odd, since I have read threads from guys with 2doors that lost the front shaft first. There were even a few who posted about taking advice and replacing the rear before it was damaged, then not having the money to replace the front when it went.
yeah, i'm sure you have "read threads"

newsflash, jeeps are rear wheel drive vehicles and having your front drive shaft fail is not as big deal as losing your rear. in case you missed it, you don't even need one for daily driving and some JK's were actually made without one. just because you read of a couple of people who decided to change out their rear drive shaft first and then later had their fronts fail doesn't mean that their rears wouldn't have failed first. and, from what i've seen with my own eyes on numerous occasions, they do fail first on a 2-door.

For me, I lost the joint on the front shaft, but the boot was absolutely fine.
unlike the OP, you have a 4-door. your rear drive shaft is A LOT longer than your front and even after being lifted, the angles on your rear cv joints will be significantly less than your fronts. on a 4-door, the odds of your front shaft going out first is greater. of course, the OP has a 2-door and so that is not the case with him. now, assuming you are referring to your slip shaft boot being fine, you have an auto and if you haven't torn yours by now, you're either not lifted, have shocks that are too short or you never wheel your jeep. if you are referring to the cv boot at the output shaft as being fine, you've just proved my point that the front shaft will last a lot longer. if you are referring to the joint at the pinion, that is a u-joint and they need to be replaced it as a normal part of service especially if you see a lot of wet weather and/or salted roads. you cannot service an rzeppa joint or, not for very cheap anyway.

So yes, I'll stand by my comments.
oh, i'm sure you will

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-24-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: DS Sanity Check