Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drove up on wall now pulls too left and steering not straight

Old 03-02-2014, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove up on wall now pulls too left and steering not straight

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, but the other day I got a little over excited and parked on a little wall at work. It was about 2 feet tall. Any way after I left work I noticed that my steering is off center and now my jeep pulls to the left. I looked underneath and found nothing that was bent. I'm a little worried I bent the C knuckle or something. I have a 2.5" Rough County BB and 35's with nothing done to the front axle at all. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I should be looking for, or if I should just take it to get aligned? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey, just got done reading a thread on how to align and check steering wheel center, it was very informative with great discription and pics, do a search and read this first, it says you can align yourself and save $$, I'd try this first
Old 03-02-2014, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering just does not come out of alignment unless one of Four things happen.

Something breaks or was not put together and torqued properly (lift points toward track bar hole wallowed out or control arm bolts same) seriously common , operator error type stuff. And it happens just go over fasteners.

Something is bent (axle "c" usually by large tires and sudden impact) heavier wheel and tire combos exert higher leverage against the axle.

Something is worn (tie rod ends from the factory wear very quickly as does the drag link) and are serviced for life. An out of "normal" routine movement can shift grease inside allowing the stud/ball to sit differently in the socket thus providing different input to the steering.

Tire pressure! Could lose a few pounds of pressure by flexing a bead or momentary loss from potholes or drastic temperature change.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I bet you bent the drag link. It already has a bend in it from the factory and is pretty easy to tweek. Just adjust it to where the wheel is centered again.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I bet you bent the drag link. It already has a bend in it from the factory and is pretty easy to tweek. Just adjust it to where the wheel is centered again.
awe, what a let down. I was hoping for a lecture. Good advice BTW. But, I do find humor in this sort of thing. At least he admitted to letting the excitement take him! And no worries, we all have been there.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Well the Jeep only has 13k on it so I really hope nothing is worn out yet. But good chance with the big tires and I live in Germany so I drive pretty fast alot. When I drove up on the wall it was really smooth, didn't really have to get on it or anything. I just ordered Springs, shocks, and adjustable front track bar so I'm gonna have the front pulled apart here soon so I'll be able to really look everything over. It's just a sport so Ive got the dana 30 front. Was going to hold off on doing drag link flip and any steering pays but sounds like that could be sooner than later now. What's everyone's opinion and suggestions on steering up grades like that
Old 03-02-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Drag link flip for lifts 3.5"+ only. Stronger aftermarket links and tie rod ends do firm up the front with less flexing from the oversized tire.

Quick Reply: Drove up on wall now pulls too left and steering not straight