Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

drop pitman arm/ trackbar relocation bracket

Old 03-31-2016, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drop pitman arm/ trackbar relocation bracket

I currently have a 3.5 inch lift from rough country and dislike it. I am slowly adding parts to it to make it ride how I want. I have installed teraflex monster trackbars both front and rear. Which helped a lot. And just got fox ifp shocks and fox ats steering stabilizer in mail today, and hopefully will fix the ride even more.. will eventually be putting 3 inch evo plush ride springs on it too. I am currently running 285s on the stock 17 rubicon rims but plan on putting 35s on in the near future. Already have 1.5 inch spacers installed.

My questions is with changing these parts do I still need the trackbar relocation brackets with the adjustable teraflex trackbars. And also doing some research a lot of people have said the drop pitman arm is not a good thing and they have taken it off or never installed with the lift. The article on here called my thoughts on lifts said the drop pitman arm will wear on the steering box. How can I fix these problems Also when I go to add the fox ats steering stabilizer it does not look like will work with trackbar relocation bracket. It is meant for the stock bracket. Will I be ok if I take these off and then re adjust the teraflex trackbars so the axles are centered both front and rear. And will I be ok if I re install the stock pitman arm or what other parts will I need to make things right. Thanks for the help
Old 03-31-2016, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to lose the drop arm you can do a high steer up front with raised front axle bracket.

As I recall, I read others say the Tera track bar will make contact with the pitman arm in a high steer configuration. Sure others will chime in.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The trackbar bracket extension and drop pitman arm are only used with the stock trackbar. If you have an adjustable one id remove both those components

Last edited by Croce; 03-31-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Trackbars improved the ride quality?

As noted above, if you remove the drop pitman, remove the trackbar bracket at the same time. They work together to keep the draglink and trackbar parallel to each other, while flattening the steep angles on both. Removing one without also removing the other, those bars are angled differently, and you just caused a big handling issue. You can run with them in stock locations, of you can choose a move to a flip/high steer instead of the drop pitman. (Do more research on flips so you have an idea of what is involved.)

For the rear, flattening the angle of the trackbar will help with roll center. Most people here will recommend a raised bracket from the axle, though some companies will drop the bracket from the frame.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

OK thanks for some info. I will look into the flip. Will that mean I will need a heavier tie rod and drag link? and what is the best brand to get. And as for the trackbar making the ride better yes it did it didn't make it ride smoother by any means but it took away the shimmy the jeep had over bumps. I'm hoping the shocks and springs will make a difference in smoothness.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Plendl
OK thanks for some info. I will look into the flip. Will that mean I will need a heavier tie rod and drag link? and what is the best brand to get. And as for the trackbar making the ride better yes it did it didn't make it ride smoother by any means but it took away the shimmy the jeep had over bumps. I'm hoping the shocks and springs will make a difference in smoothness.
Springs and shocks can help with ride quality but first start playing with tire air pressure. If you over inflate (40lbs which is recommended by jeep) it will ride harder. try dropping to 36 and then 34 and 32, etc... the more you drop the more the tires absorb. Don't go down too far as then you start to compromise the sidewalls at highway speeds. What are you currently running for tire pressure before you go out and buy a bunch of parts?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Just remove the bracket and go back to stock pitman and drive it for a while, see what you think before throwing money at a flip.

Tie rod, no. Drag link, depends. Spend some time looking at the individual options, there are different ways of going about it. (some mfg's are selling stock components from RHD JK's instead of heavier duty aftermarket stuff.) Synergy is probably the most popular setup, but many other mfg's have options, there is even a newer company offering a no-drill setup (don't remember the name, but I'm sure someone will mention it).

Quick Reply: drop pitman arm/ trackbar relocation bracket