Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drop pitman arm

Old 10-21-2014, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop pitman arm

Will a drop pitman arm correct my steering geometry after a 3.5 inch lift? Is this all it takes? Or will I need to do a drag link flip?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay away from a dropped pitman arm. It isn't even close to the best way to correct the steering. It also adds a LOT of stress the the steering components. Get an adjustable track bar with a track bar bracket and also a flit kit for the drag link.

But, if you want a dropped pitman arm, and are in Dallas, I'll trade you mine for your stock pitman arm. Haha. I'm speaking from personal experience.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Junkie

^^^^Agree with what he said.

Are you having steering issues? You are on the borderline, but unless you are really bothered by something, just leave it. If you get everything dialed in in terms of caster, etc, it should be good. Keep in mind that a drag link flip can require more bump stop. Can't let the drag link munch on the frame.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a RK adjustable trackbar. I haven't noticed any steering issuses yet. I was just trying to stay ahead of any foreseeable problems.
But with that said, I was driving down the highway last week, and had a random and unconstant knock and felt it in my gas pedal. No a clue what that was. And for what its worth. It was against a strong head wind, and when going with the wind, 10 minutes later, it was not there. Not sure if this had anything to do with the knock, just throwing all the info out there.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tnt008
I have a RK adjustable trackbar. I haven't noticed any steering issuses yet. I was just trying to stay ahead of any foreseeable problems.
But with that said, I was driving down the highway last week, and had a random and unconstant knock and felt it in my gas pedal. No a clue what that was. And for what its worth. It was against a strong head wind, and when going with the wind, 10 minutes later, it was not there. Not sure if this had anything to do with the knock, just throwing all the info out there.
With that much lift, you need adjustable front lower control arms or geo brackets. Your caster is way too low right now and that is hard on all the parts up front. I wouldn't worry about the flip kit. You'll know if you need one and I doubt you do. Based on your tire size, you would likely have to add bump stop and then you lose flex.

As for the knock, hard to say. I'd check the torque of that track bar and make sure the bolts are 125 ft lbs and that the jam nut is mega torqued. Any play and it would cause a knock. Also check all the control arm torques. It isn't uncommon for one to get missed. Lowers are 125 ft lbs as is rear uppers, front uppers 75 ft lbs. If you dont have a torque wrench, buy one - you will use it a lot. Or, borrow one from an auto parts store.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great info Invest. I do have adjustable front lowers. I will check that trackbar though. I'm not worried about the bump stop set up. I have all that dialed in.
And yes, torgue wrench is a must.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

If you flip the drag link you should be able to run a factory trackbar with a raised bracket.

I'm running 3.5" springs with a flipped dl and factory tb with a raised bracket and they are nicely parallel.

Nvm I see you have a adjustable tb already. I'd keep running it until you need to change something. I get vibrations all the time that come and go I wouldn't worry.

Last edited by Rmiller31; 10-21-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Drop pitman arm