Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drop Hitch Receiver Size Suggestion

Old 08-21-2019, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Hitch Receiver Size Suggestion

I am moving in a couple days and have rented a Uhaul 5' x 8' trailer. I asked them the size of the ball required and they specified 2".

With that being said, I have a 2016 Sport with a 2.5" lift and 35s. In order to keep the trailer level, I know I will need a drop mount receiver.

Anyone suggest the size of the drop? I was thinking 3-6", but I am just unsure. Typically one would measure from the tongue to the hitch, but I don't see the trailer until the day I move.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket bumper? If so, different bumpers will place that receiver in different positions, so general speculation about size may not be accurate. For example, my current receiver is integrated up in to the bumper whereas the last bumper I had it sat below the bumper. Also though, everyone with a 2.5" lift sits differently due to weight and mods. Some may sit with a rake, others not. If you call u-haul, think they could just tell you generally the height of their trailer tongue sitting level? That would be the easiest way then you could just measure from your receiver to determine the drop.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

I'll call them to check it out. I have a stock bumper. I want to buy a decent receiver and ball, trying to stay under $50 as I won't be towing much. I don't want to get one of those "slotted" received for the adjustable height lol.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Funny thing, I checked the website and found this video:

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/...or-Your-Hitch/

Looks Like 18in is the coupler height
Old 08-21-2019, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Did they mention that you have to have a hard top (just in case your a soft top guy)?? That seems to be a sticking point with U-Haul. Also, I've had U-Haul tell me I had to be in 4WD before which is redonk. If they tell you anything like that ignore it. You don't want to be in 4WD on dry pavement....at least, not if you value your transfer case.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Luckily, I have a hard top! Yeah, that is pretty idiotic to be in 4WD on pavement, especially when you should't exceed speeds of 25 mph in 4WD high. I value my equipment, I'll stick with 2WD lol
Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledgehamma
Luckily, I have a hard top! Yeah, that is pretty idiotic to be in 4WD on pavement, especially when you should't exceed speeds of 25 mph in 4WD high. I value my equipment, I'll stick with 2WD lol
I think you mean don't exceed 25mph in 4Lo. The owners manual says you can shift into 4Hi while going 50mph, so you can go at least 50, if not higher in 4Hi.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

I would go look at the trailer and measure tow bar height if you can level trailer, then ,measure Jeep receiver height then do some math and you get your answer. My JKU is lifted 2" and I have towed a few rental trailers with a 3" drop hitch with no issues.

Quick Reply: Drop Hitch Receiver Size Suggestion