Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

DRL for the ARB deluxe bull bumper

Old 04-24-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL for the ARB deluxe bull bumper

The ARB comes with angled corner amber reflectors that come with wiring to make them turn signals or you can just leave them without power and they become just reflectors. You can't run them as anything else with the supplied 1156 bulb since if they stay on too long the housing will melt.

My idea was to run them with LEDs and use them as daytime running lights. Looking at superbrightleds dot com turned up a 2 watt 140* right angled LED in amber. Following their advise to match the LED color to the color of the lens. Here it is installed, with the socket towards the front of the jeep for best angle of light.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRL-0002.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	308688
Here it is on:

Name:	DRL-0003.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	308689
I actually had to take a pair of tinsnips to the sheet metal reflector in the light housings and cut an 1/8" off the leading edges. With the socket wires running behind the reflector, the reflector protruded beyond the plastic housing and it left a gap allowing dirt and water to enter around the gasket. That's how they came from the factory.

Following ronjenx's write up http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-electrica...source-191552/ I used a tap-a-fuse to run accessory power. I think that's a 7.5 amp fuse. These LEDs don't need much.

Name:	DRL-0005.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	308691
and the ground

Name:	DRL-0004.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	308690
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DRL-0006.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	308692  
Old 04-24-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

here it is on in daylight:

Name:	DRL-0006.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	308707
and with all the lights on

Name:	DRL-0007.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	308708
I'll be on a long drive this weekend, so we'll see if the LEDs heat up too much for the housings. Now I just need to rewire my fogs.

Last edited by ylojelo; 04-24-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

3 hours of driving and they were no warmer than the bumper. All is good.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Great write up. Thank you for the info... I installed my ARB this weekend and was wondering what to do with the amber lights.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks. I really like the look: safety plus cool factor.
since then Ive plastictkote'd the ARB badge black.

Last edited by ylojelo; 06-22-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ylojelo
The ARB comes with angled corner amber reflectors that come with wiring to make them turn signals or you can just leave them without power and they become just reflectors. You can't run them as anything else with the supplied 1156 bulb since if they stay on too long the housing will melt.

My idea was to run them with LEDs and use them as daytime running lights. Looking at superbrightleds dot com turned up a 2 watt 140* right angled LED in amber. Following their advise to match the LED color to the color of the lens. Here it is installed, with the socket towards the front of the jeep for best angle of light.
Attachment 308688
Here it is on:
Attachment 308689
I actually had to take a pair of tinsnips to the sheet metal reflector in the light housings and cut an 1/8" off the leading edges. With the socket wires running behind the reflector, the reflector protruded beyond the plastic housing and it left a gap allowing dirt and water to enter around the gasket. That's how they came from the factory.

Following ronjenx's write up www.jk-forum.com/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/easy-switched-power-source-191552/ I used a tap-a-fuse to run accessory power. I think that's a 7.5 amp fuse. These LEDs don't need much.
Attachment 308691
and the ground
Attachment 308690

hey thank you for the post, i have a quick question..I am installing DRL day time running lights..i need to connect to the fuse box..did you run the wire directly from the lights to the fuse box or something in the middle you have attached?
please let me know if you can help. thank you in advance

best
Old 01-22-2016, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go anywhere rain, water crossings, mud, snow, sleet, humidity, a clown with a water shooting flower, etc... I would suggest soaking the housing and 'gasket' area in a vat of silicon. They are the biggest PIA lights ever. I've had them replaced 4 times by ARB as they kept rusting out my $50 super bright LED bulbs.

I've since removed the plauge from my Jeep, cursed at it a few times, and bought lights from Whelen Engineering Inc instead
Old 01-22-2016, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vladimer
If you go anywhere rain, water crossings, mud, snow, sleet, humidity, a clown with a water shooting flower, etc... I would suggest soaking the housing and 'gasket' area in a vat of silicon. They are the biggest PIA lights ever. I've had them replaced 4 times by ARB as they kept rusting out my $50 super bright LED bulbs.

I've since removed the plauge from my Jeep, cursed at it a few times, and bought lights from Whelen Engineering Inc instead
hey buddy, how did you wire the lights to the fusebox? did you run the wires directly from the lights to the fusebox?
Old 01-22-2016, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I personally have my DRL disabled via flashpaq (procal before) as I always run my marker lights on or fog lights as DRL. Its out of habit personally (I turn the light stalk each time) and I did it so I can turn off all lights when off road 100% if I want to.

I have the marker light mod done and simply wired the arb bumper lights to the same circuit.

That way when I have my marker lights on they shine (DRL) and when I use my turn signal they flash.

The ARB bumper does a brilliant job hiding the OEM turn signal in the grill so unless a vehicle is directly in front of you, it is pretty difficult to communicate that you are turning. Hence the marker light mod and making the bumper light a turn signal.

Due to this, you end up with three amber lights on each corner and it looks like a bit of a circus IMO. Since I haven't been able to find a blank template to fit into the hole, I painted the amber light with like 50 coats of black paint to hide it and prevent any light seepage. Otherwise if you take the light bulb out it will throw a code.

Your ARB bumper light also has to be an LED. Otherwise your halogen bulb will pull too many amps and your lights will not work.

Here is a photo of what of what I'm talking about with the black

Name:	YOAJ8gbh.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	680336
Old 01-22-2016, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

So the actual wire run from the arb light is maybe 12-16" to the oem harness. Nothing further.

Quick Reply: DRL for the ARB deluxe bull bumper