Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driving w/out shocks, sway bar and a few other choice suspension parts

Old 06-21-2014, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving w/out shocks, sway bar and a few other choice suspension parts

So the title may sound ridiculous but it's a serious question: What can I remove from the suspension and still be okay to drive short distances, i.e., from my garage to a parking spot down the street (4 garages down) and back?

The question is being posed as I'm looking to install my lift on the 4th of July. While I hope it only takes from 7am - 5pm that day, there's a chance for things to go wrong and for the work to take longer.

I was thinking of starting to rip off suspension parts in the garage the night before but still be able to drive it. Stupid HOA rules don't allow my gf to use my parking permit outside. Another stupid HOA rule, can't work on the Jeep outside.

I was planning on possibly removing the front shocks, sway bar links, maybe track bar and just leaving the coil springs in place.

Hopefully someone else out there has had a similar experience or need to move their rig after a few parts have been removed.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you are really just going a few spaces down and crawling your way at idle speed it should be ok for that. There will be no stability and under no circumstances go onto a roadway with traffic.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smitty12JKU
If you are really just going a few spaces down and crawling your way at idle speed it should be ok for that. There will be no stability and under no circumstances go onto a roadway with traffic.
Thanks for the response, and I think I'll leave the track bar in place until the next day when I get into the "meat" of the lift install.

Shocks and sway bar disconnects should be fine and take a few minutes off install on the 4th
Old 06-21-2014, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would guess that driving without the shocks is possible but the ride may be really bouncy. Sway bar links would be fine disconnected for that short distance. The trackbar is what I'm unsure sure of as it centers the axle under the Jeep, and turning with it disconnected may cause the axle to shift. Just my guess, never done this
Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadBarret
I would guess that driving without the shocks is possible but the ride may be really bouncy. Away bar links would be fine disconnected for that short distance. The trackbar is what I'm unsure sure of as it centers the axle under the Jeep, and turning with it disconnected may cause the axle to shift. Just my guess, never done this
I agree, that seems to be the consensus about track bars w/what I researched (after I posted of course!)

Thanks,
Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sgregg108
I agree, that seems to be the consensus about track bars w/what I researched (after I posted of course!) Thanks,
Better safe than sorry I suppose huh. Good luck with the install!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadBarret
Better safe than sorry I suppose huh. Good luck with the install!
Definitely!

I'm pretty stoked to get the lift on her!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:39 AM
JK Junkie

Def keep the front track bar in. You won't we able to steer without it. I'm thinking slow without the rear but is possible.
Swaybars, my rears is disco'd waiting for new links. I actually like it better.
Front, you can drive without but stay off the highway. Last thing you want is to loose control and hurt somebody.
Shocks .. We just finished putting coils in and wanted to turn the jeep around in the driveway. The end of the drive way made the jeep bounce pretty bad. I can see slamming the stops driving.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 06-22-2014, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, don't ever think about running without the trackbar....it's suicide. Total loss of control. You would be hard pressed to be able to make any kind of turn whatever.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

if you are just driving slow 4 houses away in a sub division then I would just loosen every thing up. loosen the upper and lower control arms up the track bar up so they come off easy when you get in the garage. my guess is you will be able to drive 5mph that far. remove the front and rear sway bar links as those have no effect at slow speeds.

Quick Reply: Driving w/out shocks, sway bar and a few other choice suspension parts