Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driving with steering wheel off center

Old 12-26-2013, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving with steering wheel off center

Ok I added a drag link that is now on top of the knuckle but I have a drop pitman arm so I'm unable to adjust my steering wheel. I'm having my steering box replaced at a local off road shop so I figured I'd let the replace the pitman arm while doing that with a factory so I'd be able to center my steering wheel so my question is, how difficult will it be to drive to the shop since I'll probably have the ESP light coming on. It's about 10 miles away and no roads over 50mph
Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

How far off is the wheel?

Most people report the problem arises when braking going around a sharp turn, as when exiting the highway. The computer will think you are entering a skid and will apply some wheel brakes in an attempt to straighten you out.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

180 degrees, totally upside down
Old 12-26-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Junkie

I had my ESP completely killing power to the one side of the jeep and braking quite hard before even hitting a single mile or 45mph. 10 miles *could* be hell if the wheels on one side are constantly locking up every 2 seconds and jerking you all over the road.

That was my experience though.....quite literally made it just a few blocks and I had to turn around.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by karls
I had my ESP completely killing power to the one side of the jeep and braking quite hard before even hitting a single mile or 45mph. 10 miles *could* be hell if the wheels on one side are constantly locking up every 2 seconds and jerking you all over the road.

That was my experience though.....quite literally made it just a few blocks and I had to turn around.
Yikes! How far off was your steering wheel?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does a drop pitman arm keep you from centering the steering wheel? The drag link should have an adjuster sleeve.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by joentuff
180 degrees, totally upside down
Well, turning one way will be limited quite a lot.
You can turn off the ESP. Press and hold the ESP button for 5 seconds. That will turn off the ESP and the ERM in 2hi, below 40 mph.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

It's the synergy relocated drag bar, since the drop pitman arm drops so far I'm unable to centre it because the drag link is longer the the factory, however with a factory pitman arm it will be perfect, does that make sense?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joentuff
It's the synergy relocated drag bar, since the drop pitman arm drops so far I'm unable to centre it because the drag link is longer the the factory, however with a factory pitman arm it will be perfect, does that make sense?
Yes, that makes sense.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

Ronjenx the way it is now turning is good either way however the steering wheel is way off, however I can center the wheel and then my steering is very limited one direction (left)

Quick Reply: Driving with steering wheel off center