Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

driving with front driveshaft only/4 hi question

Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving with front driveshaft only/4 hi question

I am pretty sure that the source of my vibration is an unbalanced rear driveshaft. I have pulled the front and that is not the culprit. I have tried NUMEROUS other suggestions and have basically narrowed it down to the rear ds. I am going to put the front back on and remove the rear. I will then drive in 4 hi. My question is how fast can you drive in 4 hi? Can you drive on the freeway? How long can you drive this way without causing any damage or is this just a bad idea? Thanks!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove 4 hours at 50-55 on mine from Moab to SLC once. Just take off slow and take tight corners easy.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove 5 hours home from catskills jeep jamboree with only my front driveshaft a couple of weeks ago. I drove upwards of 70 mph but mostly kept it to 65 mph, just take it very easy on tight turns. Dont accelerate too quickly either. Other than that, no problem. It will handle a bit quirky so be careful but I didnt have any problems doing 70mph. When u r making very tight 90 degree turns, take it very easy since it is stressful on front u joints on axles.

I will add that once I got it home, I parked it until I got new rear DS since the around town driving seemed very stressful on jeep with just front shaft.

Quick Reply: driving with front driveshaft only/4 hi question