Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driving with front driveshaft disconnected, but not removed

Old 10-29-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Driving with front driveshaft disconnected, but not removed

I have read several threads indicating that it is ok to drive with the front shaft completely removed. What I am wondering, though, is if there is an issue with unbolting just the front, and leaving the rear connected? (and securing the front, of course)

I was killing time at a local shop, bs'ing with one of the guys there. We got around to gearing, and at one point he mentioned that they sometimes do this when a customer has only one axle geared due to money concerns. He suggested wrapping tape around the front to keep 'something' from falling out, (I don't recall the actual reason) and securing it to a control arm with zip ties. Figure I'd use a ratchet strap or something a bit more sturdy than a plastic tie, but wondered if there is any downside to running this way...
Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It only takes a few minutes to remove, I'd just take the whole thing out so you don't have to worry about it.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the t-case. The YJ didn't have a true neutral, so the front would turn in 2wd. The TJ had a true neutral.

Honestly, I don't know about the JK, as I've never tried it... but if you disco the axle end first, it'll turn by hand if its got a neutral.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

If you look at your owner's manual, it says NOT to tow the JK on a front wheel caddy. On a caddy, the front wheels/drive shaft do not turn while the rear drive shaft does. Damage could result.

If you disconnect the front drive shaft and restrict it from turning while driving, the t-case would see this the same way it would see the front wheels on a caddy. Could cause damage.

In view of what the manual says about towing on a caddy, I called SpinTech about their locking hubs, and why this would be OK, since the front wheels would not be turning the front drive shaft when unlocked.
They said the difference is, the front drive shaft is still free to rotate, thereby avoiding t-case damage.

I haven't verified whether or not the front drive shaft really NEEDS to be able to rotate, but several things point in that direction.

I would remove the drive shaft. If it were to drop down at any speed, it could be a disaster.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-29-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I have read several threads indicating that it is ok to drive with the front shaft completely removed. What I am wondering, though, is if there is an issue with unbolting just the front, and leaving the rear connected? (and securing the front, of course)

I was killing time at a local shop, bs'ing with one of the guys there. We got around to gearing, and at one point he mentioned that they sometimes do this when a customer has only one axle geared due to money concerns. He suggested wrapping tape around the front to keep 'something' from falling out, (I don't recall the actual reason) and securing it to a control arm with zip ties. Figure I'd use a ratchet strap or something a bit more sturdy than a plastic tie, but wondered if there is any downside to running this way...
Just remove it or wait until you can afford to re-gear both axles It sounds like this guy only knew half of what he was talking about
Old 10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm regeared. I was actually thinking about some posts that mentioned a mpg increase from not having the front shaft connected and turning. An extra 1-2 mpg's on a few 1500+ mile trips might add up. Figured I'd have the back of the jeep crammed full of junk, so thought I'd get opinions on disconnecting but leaving attached.

But, sounds like making room for it in back is the better option

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-29-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Remove it entirely.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

IMO, not regearing the front axle is a bit of a "hack", hacking a "hack" by not removing the front driveshaft completely is asking for trouble and inviting Murphy and his law into your life.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

hmm. i drove mine like that while i was messing with my castor adjustment and was getting vibes with the front shaft still connected. i ended up taking it off altogether though.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

dude by the time u read through all these posts, u could have removed it.

if u have that much crap cramd into the back and cant fit that tiny drive shaft then u seem not to care that much about gas milage. for every 100lbs u loose a certain amount of gas milage so id be packing a little less

just remove it and avoid any damage. when that shaft spins up through the floor and breaks other parts, i betcha you will be sayin oh crap should have taken it off. im not trying to be an ass but hate to see people make mistakes and broken parts when they could have taken 10 minutes to do the job properly.

Quick Reply: Driving with front driveshaft disconnected, but not removed