Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

driveshafts or regear? hmm

Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driveshafts or regear? hmm

At this tym I hav a opportunity to regear which I could use the pwr with the 35z I hav on or do I take a gamble on driveshafts lasting long enough to save up some more money? I'm still leaning towards gears an am curious for opinions.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, you got the tires already.....you might as well re-gear unless you have been having issues with your driveshafts, or you are expecting problems with them in the future. Let's face it, you NEED to have the shafts to drive the wheels and re-gearing will just drive them better. Gears is my vote though.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottenbelly
Gears!! If you have a 4 inch or less lift your shafts will be fine.
Not true. One good trip off road and you are likely to tear your front driveshaft boot if you disconnect your swaybars. If you plan on any off roading I would consider a front shaft. Although some can drive with a torn boot for a short while
Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Not true. One good trip off road and you are likely to tear your front driveshaft boot if you disconnect your swaybars. If you plan on any off roading I would consider a front shaft. Although some can drive with a torn boot for a short while
Agreed and I have proof. Just replaced the front dshaft yesterday. Without this information from the OP its hard to tell what is needed vs. preferred. Absolutely gears are a better bang for the buck, but shafts well might be needed. It's not the torn boot that bothered me, it was the sghaft into the tranny pan that will get you.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

My dd looks good an I havnt done any hard wheeling but want to get out some more so that's y I threw ? Out there. It is my dd an I could use the pwr more but at the same tym I don't want to take any chances. Good info
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jpkjk
My dd looks good an I havnt done any hard wheeling but want to get out some more so that's y I threw ? Out there. It is my dd an I could use the pwr more but at the same tym I don't want to take any chances. Good info
If your not going to wheel hard yet, get the gears, break them in, and get use to them. Run your front shaft till you toast it. It could be years, it could be one trip. I have seen both.

Also, gears will make your harder wheeling much better.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Gears, the torn boot thing is overblown unless you are in the mud or sand all the time.
The bearing seal boot is what to look for on both the front and rear driveshaft. Keep an eye out for a line of grease on the underside of the tub just above the cv joint near the transfer case.
Yes dirt man is right, the spline boot isnt the problem.

I ripped my tcase flange boot and it threw all the grease in about two weeks, then started making noise.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Still need more advise please.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Honestly I would d the gears and keep an eye on the driveshaft if you do any off roaring where you are really flexing out the suspension. The gears will be way more beneficial for the time being...
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jpkjk
Still need more advise please.
To me, it's really simple:

If you're broke and want to go wheeling, go driveshafts first. Driveshafts are cheaper than gears because you can do the installation yourself. Gears requires a professional or your void the warranty on the gears.

If you have a little access dough and want to keep it a pavement warrior, forego driveshafts and do gears. It's more expensive, but helps daily on-road performance. It will cost you about $1000 more than doing just driveshafts so that can be a major factor.

If you have boatloads of money, do both!

Quick Reply: driveshafts or regear? hmm