Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft Vibrations....

Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Vibrations....

I had a custom built driveshaft built last year after tearing mine up and i have never been able to get it to not cause vibrations at like 65-80 mph but then at like 81 it all goes away and my jeep rides perfectly. What type of shop could check it for balancing? And yes i have control arms that i have adjusted many times. I also know i am running 5.13's with 35s and that cause my driveshaft to spine extremely fast.
I have read around on the forum but i guess i just need to find a shop near Oxford, MS or Memphis,TN to get it balance.
Any help, Thanks in advance
Old 01-22-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I assume front drive shaft.
Does it have a single u-joint at the pinion, and a double cardan at the t-case?
If so, is the pinion angle more than 3°?

If yes to those questions, you are lucky the t-case hasn't exploded yet.
A double cardan requires the other u-joint to be very close to 0°.

Stay below vibration speed until you get if figured out.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-22-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have 3 options.

1. move up to 37's your driveshaft will spin less.

2. Spyntec kit.

3. Prorock 44 with caster correction.

I had very bad front driveshaft vibrations and tried everything to get rid of it. I even tried a dual double Cardian driveshaft from Woods. It was 90.00 to covert it. After I got the Spyntec kit Woods converted it back and refunded me the 90.00 . Couldn't ask for better customer service
Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had to go through 3 aftermarket driveshafts to finally get one that doesn't vibe. I run 4.5 degrees of castor with a teraflex 4in lift with 1in spacers. Now have a tera driveshaft and all is well. No vibes at all up to 80mph. It seems alot of these after market shafts are not balanced correctly or have too much run out on them to be able to correctly balance them for the revolution rate and or angle that they have to run at.
From my experience, I've had driveshafts that the vibe would only change minutly when varying the castor. IMO it was balance issues that could not be resolved without it being rebalanced if it was even possible too( I think there area a number out there that no matter what, they're not gonna balance good enuf for our applications) or getting a whole new driveshaft. If you can make castor adjustments and have no vibes up to 75-80mph and it still be drivable your good, however if you cant get rid of those vibes before that speed , its a driveshaft/balance issue.( oh I'm talking about the front ds)

Last edited by mkjeep; 01-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Vibrations....