Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft suggestions...PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

defiantely check your rear diff fuid

Originally Posted by bone
My lift came with replacement control arms from SkyJacker. I don't know of them being adjustable. Aren't those supposed to keep the pinion angle correct? The guy at the shop I took it to said my front shaft seemed to be in good shape with clearances and such. He said he would not recommend replacing it, only the rear. I'm only hearing the ticking noise in lower gears, and only until the Jeep warms up. Could this be something else? I was thinking maybe something in the rear end. It would make sense that the ticking noise would quit when the rear end oil warms up, right? It only does it when the Jeep has been sitting for more than an hour or so, and then for just a mile or so.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jonsjeep
defiantely check your rear diff fuid
I too am having this problem. I hear that clicking noise only for awhile when its cold out but lately its been getting worse. I have my dealership swapping front and rear fluid to see if that will work if not I guess I have to take back some christmas presents to get some driveshafts.

I dont think its my driveshaft though becuase the rear one is not at an extreme angle. I do have a 2dr with manual and 4" lift so I know i will need them eventually.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bone
I took it to Jewel's place in Bentonville. I've dealt with him before for my CJ and always had good luck. He didn't mention anything about control arms. He just said that he could hook me up with the shaft I need. I think I have seen your Jeep sitting there before. Silver 2 door with blacked out wheels? What other shops around do you know of? I'm going to visit 4 wheel concepts today to see what they can suggest.
i used bohannan's - not sure if that is the same place you are referring to - right around the walmart home office. they came recommended by some guys at work. i thought they did a great job. plus, they were cool with bringing in parts to put on - some shops want you to order all the parts through them.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

My shaft is a Woody and I use it everyday, it's such a smooth ride, the wife loves it!!!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKsJK
i used bohannan's - not sure if that is the same place you are referring to - right around the walmart home office. they came recommended by some guys at work. i thought they did a great job. plus, they were cool with bringing in parts to put on - some shops want you to order all the parts through them.
That's the same place I used. I'm going to drain the fluid from my diff this weekend and replace to eliminate that as a possibility before anything else. I crawled under it today and found that some of the grease is seeping from the front cv where it goes into the transfer case. Only a matter of time before I need a new shaft anyway.
Warlock, sounds like we have basically the same set up...2 door, 4" lift, manual. Let me know if you figure out the noise yours is making.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

No problem man, Im getting a complete look over next weekend. All fluids changed and such.....I know mine is probably from wheeling becuase i have submerged my axles many times without switching out fluids.

I did extend the breathers but oh well we will see.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

What size lift on a 4 door requires you to change the shafts?

Quick Reply: Driveshaft suggestions...PLEASE HELP!!!