Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft suggestions...PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft suggestions...PLEASE HELP!!!

I have an 08 JK 2 door with a 5" SkyJacker lift and 35's. Since the weather has turned cold, I have been hearing a ticking noise as I gain speed through first and second gears. I asked for ideas on what this might be and was told that it was most likely the CV in the driveshaft going out due to the extreme angle created by the lift. I'm ready to buy a new shaft now, but I have no idea what I need. I have seen where several people have had luck with the cheaper options from ebay, and I have no problems with that if it's a good option. I would prefer not to spend $400 if I don't have to. I do mild wheeling, no extreme rock crawling. I do plan to run 37's in the future. I hear the terms "1310" and "1350" thrown around, but I have not clues to what this means. I assume I need to stay away from a CV style shaft, and move towards a double U joint set up, correct? What are some of you guys using? I need something that will be all inclusive and not require me to have to peice things together. PLEASE HELP!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00083.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	16382  
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get a Woody. http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Give them a call and they will have you take a few measurements and they will build you a very nice piece that you won't have to worry about ever again (in my opinion).

Last edited by Robar; 12-10-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattb2179
Get a Woody. http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Give them a call and they will have you take a few measurements and they will build you a very nice piece that you won't have to worry about ever again (in my opinion).
Not to highjack but new shafts are required for 3" or higher lifts correct?

Last edited by Robar; 12-10-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Edited direct link
Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes they are mostly
Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bone
I have an 08 JK 2 door with a 5" SkyJacker lift and 35's. Since the weather has turned cold, I have been hearing a ticking noise as I gain speed through first and second gears. I asked for ideas on what this might be and was told that it was most likely the CV in the driveshaft going out due to the extreme angle created by the lift. I'm ready to buy a new shaft now, but I have no idea what I need. I have seen where several people have had luck with the cheaper options from ebay, and I have no problems with that if it's a good option. I would prefer not to spend $400 if I don't have to. I do mild wheeling, no extreme rock crawling. I do plan to run 37's in the future. I hear the terms "1310" and "1350" thrown around, but I have not clues to what this means. I assume I need to stay away from a CV style shaft, and move towards a double U joint set up, correct? What are some of you guys using? I need something that will be all inclusive and not require me to have to peice things together. PLEASE HELP!!!
You are correct, a new Ujoint style driveshaft is what you want. Some say 1310, others 1350, the bottom line is it depends on what you're doing. a 1350 is a stronger shaft. If you're just a mild wheeler, a 1310 should be fine - and they are cheaper.

I run a TeraFlex 1310 - I like it well. There are a number of other shafts available, and I have yet to hear any major complaints about any of them.

The front driveshaft is the most critical to be replaced on a 2dr, but if you can do it, replace both.

Originally Posted by mattb2179
Not to highjack but new shafts are required for 3" or higher lifts correct?
No, not necessarily. Mostly on the 2dr - and usually only with 3-4 inches or higher. It varies depending on your setup.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

get a tera flex !!!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMac4
You are correct, a new Ujoint style driveshaft is what you want. Some say 1310, others 1350, the bottom line is it depends on what you're doing. a 1350 is a stronger shaft. If you're just a mild wheeler, a 1310 should be fine - and they are cheaper.

I run a TeraFlex 1310 - I like it well. There are a number of other shafts available, and I have yet to hear any major complaints about any of them.

The front driveshaft is the most critical to be replaced on a 2dr, but if you can do it, replace both.

No, not necessarily. Mostly on the 2dr - and usually only with 3-4 inches or higher. It varies depending on your setup.
I have ot had any issues with my front shaft as of yet, but I have not done a lot of wheeling either. My rear shaft is the one making the noise. I figured I would upgrade it now and then get the front shaft as the budget allows in the future. See any issues with this? What is the cost of the Teraflex? Does it come with everything I need? Is it a fairly easy install?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a manual gear the front will be ok at least for a while. Now, the d/s are not to difficult to change, I did on mine (2dr 3'') every part needed came with the package (including the nuts, which, as per the workshop manual shall be changed). I did not go with a off the shelf aftermarket d/s because in own a diesel jk which the T case is backed off 2'' compared to the gas. I order a Tom Wood 1310 CV (349$) custom made.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Default Drive line

I just had mine replaced by Tattons driveline. they did a great job and were much cheaper than most.

Last edited by wayoflife; 12-10-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: i'd be grateful if you could leave out the teraflex reference - thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bone
I have ot had any issues with my front shaft as of yet, but I have not done a lot of wheeling either. My rear shaft is the one making the noise. I figured I would upgrade it now and then get the front shaft as the budget allows in the future. See any issues with this? What is the cost of the Teraflex? Does it come with everything I need? Is it a fairly easy install?
You can find more info and installation instructions here: http://www.teraflex.biz/products/jk-...ar-2-door.html

If your rear is making a lot of noise, you may need to set your pinion angle. Have you considered getting some adjustable control arms?

The driveshaft comes with everything you need except the tools you'll need to install it. You'll need a 1-5/16, 1-1/4, and a 1-1/2 socket I believe, a gear puller, torque wrench, and maybe an impact gun to do both front and rear driveshafts. It was super easy to install.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft suggestions...PLEASE HELP!!!