Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft Question

Old 03-11-2020, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Driveshaft Question

I don't know much about driveshafts, myself, so hoping some of you smart-types can offer some insight:

My stock front driveshaft is on its way out (no obvious signs of impending failure yet, but the boot has been torn for a while, and it's only a matter of time). Found a used JE Reel 1310 shaft (Part# 3112JK-24FM-BFGD) for sale nearby, pretty new. Guy says about 10k miles on it, swapped it out when he went to Dana 60's. Price is good for me, but just curious if anyone has any input on the quality of the product or anything else useful to add.

Thanks for any input!
Old 03-11-2020, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

JE Reel is a quality driveshaft.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:55 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

If the price is right, worth grabbing. There's nothing fancy about driveshafts if the length works for you. Hit those grease zerks before installing it.....cuz you usually have to drop it to access that zerk on the TC side which is no fun. Does it bolt up to the factory pinion flange or come with a new yoke? If it's simply bolting to the flange the swap is super easy. If you have to install a new yoke it's just a little extra work and a lot of people don't like jacking around with the pinion nuts, or should I say get paranoid messing with them.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As stated above, J.E. Reel are good shafts, I have Coast shafts on mine. Something to keep in mind, depending on your lift your DS may contact your exhaust crossmember. I have a 3.5" lift and had to relocate the crossmember. The relocation has the added benefits of 1) being protected by the frame crossmember, 2) allowing access to the transmission case drain bolt (in a manual).

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Question