Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

driveshaft noise?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally fixed

After crawling under my jeep at least 30 times and banging anything I could find with a rubber mallet I finally found the problem. Yesterday it made the noise as I was going up my driveway. I put the ebrake on and left it in drive and was able to recreate the noise. I had my son get in the jeep while I crawled underneath. My exhaust was hitting the frame right before it goes down to the muffler. I have crawled underneath and looked at this spot while it was in my garage and there was at least .5 inch clearance, but when on an incline and accelerating the exhaust pipe moves just enough to lightly touch frame and make a horrible grinding sound. I thought I was going to have major transmission or driveshaft issues. Amazed that this is all it was. I am going to try some dynamat on the frame so it won't be metal to metal. If this doesn't work I will take it to a muffler shop and have them reroute pipe. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

EXACT noise on my 07 3" lift. I will go look at theta spot you mentioned..Thank you!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having the same exact issue. I only get the noise after I've gone over a speed bump, occasionally when I turn from a stop, and when I'm going up a a hill. I just had a 3" Full Traction LA installed with 35s. The shop was supposed to put a front DS on with the install but didn't so it's going back in this week. I'll have them take a look at it and see what the issue is. I'll also check out the exhaust in that area too.

Are you guys getting any smells when this happens? Mine almost smells like the e-brake is left on while driving...

Quick Reply: driveshaft noise?