Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

driveshaft noise?

Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered new front drive shaft to see if that fixes problem. I will keep you updated.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a similar noise on acceleration in mine. 3.5" lift and 35". I can kind of feel it in my steering wheel. Guess I need to invest in a driveshaft.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt this is it since mine is a 2010 so it's s bit different but I had a grinding/grunting sound upon initial acceleration before and dealer tried everything to find it but couldn't.

During a not so routine need to change my auto sump pan, I had to take off my auto trans skid. When new pan went on I took it for a ride without the skid and noise was gone. I put the skid on and it came back. Found that the skid was making contact with part of my exhaust so I added a couple of washers under the bolts to drop the skid like 1/8" or so. Noise hasn't been back since.

I know the skid plate became a skid bar in 2011 so not sure if I'd have the same issue if I had that. Have no clue on design of new engine maybe check out skids as well.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Curious to see if driveshaft fixes problem. I think the problem is either that or some heat shield that I can't locate.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 PM
JK Newbie

I had same problem and found by lifting up on my front bumper I found the sway bar bushing creaked and transferred the noise to what I thought was my transfer case. Took apart sway bar at frame mount, move bushing inward and lube with white lithium grease. Solved for me.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 PM
JK Newbie

Guys I had the same issue at low speeds and at take-off. It turned out to be the passenger side front lower control arm. The installer had it misaligned and it was binding at low speeds. I had to take off the rear bolt, adjust it and reinstall. Noise is gone.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

New front driveshaft installed and much better. Still hear sound but not nearly as bad. Will see how it goes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Second day, sound only a bit better. Well time to start finding other options. Does anyone know any place that does modified jeep work herein RI? Dealership won't touch it
Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

I had a similar issue, turned out tranny skid plate was pushed up into my exhaust
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like my issue is when jeep was re-geared it was not done correct. Will get fixed next week and update.

Quick Reply: driveshaft noise?