Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

driveshaft noise?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know if you have exhaust spacers? If so your crossover pipe may be touching the tranny skid plate. When I installed my lift with the exhaust spacers I had a metal to metal noise and that was the culprit.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 AM
JK Freak

check the for rub between the frame and the swaybars. the front can rub a little tube extending from the frame. this would explain the acceleration part.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

i do have exhaust spacers, no rub there. I also checked the sway bar, looks good also. I drove to work today (about 25 miles) and didn't notice the noise. Hopefully it was the muffler rubbing the heat shield that I fixed. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

well, noise is still there. THis is so annoying. It is so randomn, sometimes happens when stopped and then accelerating, and sometimes happens when accelerating at about 15-20 mph. Never occurs with full acceleration or when passing. I think I'm just going to drive it like I stole it and not worry about the noise. If it is anything serious it should get worse with time. I would take it to dealer but I don't have much faith without it being reproducible.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

auto or manual ? and did you try driving with front drive shaft removed.My friend has a 2011 Rubi tereflex 4.5 lift,38 tires and had same problems I ask him to remove his front drive shaft,next day he told me the noises were gone,drive shaft had no signs of damage,but that was were the noises were coming from.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Auto. The crazy thing is that some days it makes noise some days it doesn't. I will try removing the front driveshaft, but boot still looks good and no visible rubbing or wear. What with the driveshaft could be making the noise?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Today, made the noise at every stoplight. When taking off from stop sounds like a metal clunking noise, then goes away immediately. However, if I take off from a stop in a parking lot, it will make the clunk sound and then there is a rotational vibration( also sounds like metal on metal) that will go away once I really accelerate. Today I tried it in 4 wheel high in the parking lot and it seemed to be worse and worse when turning left going about 10mph. I would take it to dealer but I can't pinpoint it enough for dealer to find. Next step will be to take off front driveshaft and see if noise goes away. If this was a driveshaft issue, wouldn't it be worse the faster I go?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

It could be a u joint. That sounds very familiar to the things I have seen regarding them, and some last longer than others with 35's
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Jk only has 1700 miles. I was able to make the noise at will this afternoon. Iwas picking my daughter up from school and there is a decent sized hill. I stopped and then when I lightly accelerated I would get the grinding noise. I let off the gas noise goes away, lightly accelerate grinding noise again. If I step on it no noise. It sounds like the driveshaft is spinning and rubbing against something, like a metal on metal sound. I have crawled underneath and checked repeatedly and there is plenty of clearance around everything, and there is no wiggle in either driveshaft. Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same problem and can't figure out what to do. I have a 2012 with 10k miles, 3 inch lift, 35s, and exhaust spacer. Mine happens when you let off the gas or light pressure on gas. If I accelerate hard it stops. Seems to be getting worse. I have the spacer so I know there is no rubbing of shaft. Everything looks good below. I have been doing a bit of reading and some same that since the shaft is at a greater angle that it could cause issues. I'm guessing I need a new performance front shaft but don't want to spend the money unless I'm sure. Can you replace front only or do you have to do both?

Quick Reply: driveshaft noise?