Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

driveshaft noise?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driveshaft noise?

I recently purchased a 2013 jk unlimited with a 4" skyjacker lift with adjustable lower control arms front and rear with 35" tires. Ride is unbelievably smooth on highway and over bumps. The only problem I am having is a mild noise when first accelerating. Sounds like when something is spinning and touches something. It only lasts about 2 seconds and doesn't happen all the time. It seems to only happen when on uphill incline and after driving for about 10 min. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Unfortunately, I can't provide you much help.. but I had a smiliar problem earlier this year when I bought my new stock JKU. 3k miles later, it hasn't made any noise again but when it did, it only happened on intial acceleration somewhere within 1-3k RPM. With my jeep sounded to me like the noise could have been either from the tranny, driveshaft, or transfer case.

I was deployed just shortly after I bought it so my girlfriend took it to the dealership for me and left it over night to get checked out. The next day when she went in the pick it up they told her it was normal but I find that hard to believe.. So I'm curious to see what responses/help you get.. subscribed.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok you have a 4"lift crawl under the Jeep and check your boot on the front drive shaft and the small one at the transfer case for Grease flying out of it.if by chance the boot is torn remove the boot and clamps but not... not ...at the transfer case. Let us know. Good luck this is just a starting point
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go buy a new drive shaft with double u joints.just cause. Solves the problem or doesnt but you will have a great new drive shaft!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

I've checked everything underneath. Boots are fine and there is nothing in contact with the driveshaft. If it were a pinion angle issue, wouldn't the noise be constant? Only happens after driving for a while and is very intermittent.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Could be a loose bolt or small metal to metal contact. Give the whole undercarriage a once over for bolts.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the help. Found a spot on the muffler where there could possibly be some contact with a heat shield when the muffler gets hot. Hopefully this was the problem. I will keep y'all posted.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Goodluck man. Hopefully that's it! Im sure it's nothing serious! Don't stress over it
Old 10-21-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a rotational squeak? Does it go away under load?
I had the most annoying rotational squeak that I believe was finally fixed this week. I had a fried pinion seal.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Not a squeak. Feels more like metal on metal, but only lasts about 2-3 seconds when accelerating from stop but only happens after driving for a while and then is only intermittent. Hopefully it was the muffler rubbing the heat shield. Will know after driving it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: driveshaft noise?