Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft needed with 35's?

Old 08-22-2009, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft needed with 35's?

Im looking to get 35's on my 2 Door with a 3" coil lift. I have been reading that its necessary to get a longer driveshaft to compensate for the higher angle because its a 2Dr. How important is this? . .is it one of those things ill only need if im 100% hardcore and @ full flex or will the weekend offroader like myself be fine.

Please keep in mind I live in south florida where hills and rocks are near non-existent. most of the time its mudpits and mild trails for me . . ill probably never need to disconnect unless I want some good pics and actually try for it

Thanks for the help
Old 08-22-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

On my 2007 2 door with 35's, I did NOT replace the drive shafts and have had the jeep at all types of angles with no problems.... This is 2 years plus.. That's with a 3 or so inch BDS suspension lift.

On my 2007 4 door I just did up, I replaced the drive shafts doing a 6.5" long arm...

I had no issue running stock driveshafts on the 2 door and it runs great on an offroad.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

to clarify also if it matters.. I do have the automatic in the 2 door with the stock shafts on 35's... Also stock rubi gears.

The 4 door is manual with 37's...
Old 08-22-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redx08
Run it like it is and if it breaks go from there. It may break and it may not. I need a front drive shaft, but i will run the stock one till it breaks.
err, this is my DD and i normally dont have $$ to spend on new shafts att a moments notice :p
Old 08-22-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Any flexing will tear the boot on the front drive shaft when it rubs the oil pan.

Talking with a teraflex guy they have said some 2dr jks get some drive line vibes with a 2.5" lift. So, you might need a new rear drive shaft and if you never flex it the front boot won't get torn and should last you a long time. Once the boot tears start saving for the new front shaft. Some guys don't get any vibes with the 3-4 lifts but it would be better to plan for the cost just in case.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

I put a TF 3" system on 2 weeks ago. Since the lift I did some hard wheeling (Swamp Lake Trail) and I tore my boot. It appears it was hitting on the TC skid plate. So I'm in the market now for a new front DS and maybe a better skid.

I took it out for some easy wheeling yesterday and at full front axle drop the ds is rubbing.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I'd get one BEFORE I had probs with something that has a really good chance of failing. Nothing ruins your day like a driveshaft bouncing around underneath your jeep at 60mph tearing up crap.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

so is it possible and/or would it be a bad idea to buy some unlimited shafts from a member who upgraded theirs?

Thanks for the help guys . .sort of thinking of just getting a smaller lift and 33's again . . . I originally wanted 33's but everybody said if your thinking of 35's just get them. I think 33's would let me take a little more time upgrading things like this without worrying as much.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanNEBTD
so is it possible and/or would it be a bad idea to buy some unlimited shafts from a member who upgraded theirs?

Thanks for the help guys . .sort of thinking of just getting a smaller lift and 33's again . . . I originally wanted 33's but everybody said if your thinking of 35's just get them. I think 33's would let me take a little more time upgrading things like this without worrying as much.
You could run 35's with a BB and be good on dshafts.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

BB's just dont seem right to me . . . i feel like ill loose too much ride quality . . . Im thinking 2.5 coil lift w/33's . . maybe 305's to call it a happy medium. . .

Quick Reply: Driveshaft needed with 35's?